INC NEWS - Oct 1st we defend the Durham Cup

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Thu Sep 8 01:22:20 EDT 2005

I posted this back in May and have since had 2 individuals, one from
Trinity Park and the other from Watts-Hillandale tell me they had not
heard about this via the neighborhood list servers of these two
neighborhoods. There may be more folks out there that haven't heard. I get
the ABCD list server mail and have never seen it posted there either. So
please, post the challenge to your neighborhood list servers so everyone
will know about the city-wide tournament for the Durham Cup. If they don't
know, they'll miss their chance to take it away from us.

The Forest Hills Croquet Club would like to invite any and all
neighborhoods in the City to come and take The Durham Cup away from us. We
are scheduling a tournament for October 1st. in order to give you the
opportunity to do this. We have held The Durham Cup for the last five
years without offering a challenge. Here's your chance to take it away
from us.

All you need is a team. These teams will be made up of three players (14
yrs. old is the youngest that can play for a team). Entry fee for the
city-wide tournament is $30/team ($10 for each player). All proceeds
raised will go to charitable causes.  Entry fees and registration for your
team must be in no later than Sept 27th. If you'd rather just pay on the
day of the tournament, that's fine. We just need to know who the team is
for scheduling. All games will take place on the
best-free-public-regulation size-nine wicket court in the state of NC
located in Forest Hills Park. Tournament action is scheduled to start at
noon. rain date will be the following day (Sunday, Oct. 2nd).

So organize your neighborhood teams now so as to send us the best you
have. You may want to even have an inter-neighborhood playoff in order to
determine who your team will be. We don't care. We stand ready to kick
your butts, so you'll want to give us the best you have to offer or just
come and play for fun. All members of teams must live in the neighborhood
they represent. And all team members must live in Durham.

Send registration fees and your team name to:

RW Pickle
27 Beverly Drive
Durham, NC 27707

You have until the 27th of September to get signed up for play. This is so
we can draw teams in order to set up the tourney ladder and give everyone
a play time. It's a single elimination tournament with one hour time
limits on games.

Please include email contact info for the Captain of your team so we can
stay in communication.  We look forward to seeing you on October 1st as we
defend our right to keep The Durham Cup.

There has been some talk about having a triangle-wide game but it's just
talk righ now.

Please post this to your various list servers so everyone who wants to get
involved, can.