INC NEWS - Bond Oversight Committee (again)

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 28 22:02:44 EDT 2005

In its last 2 meetings, INC has discussed what the bond oversight committee
should actually do.  I said  I would DRAFT something that would attempt to
capture the discussion, since some kind of formal position needs to be done
this week if we expect to have any effect.  Anyway, what is below is a
DRAFT, first approximation, whatever of an official letter.

Regards, pat

--------

The InterNeighborhoood Council (INC) is a strong supporter of the concept of
having a citizen oversight committee for bond spending. We believe that such
a committee will further INC goals of openness in government, use of
well-defined decision processes, and respect for the professional work of
staff and the efforts of citizen committees.

On the other hand, the selection of a firm to design and oversee
construction of the Walltown Park Recreation Center has raised new concerns
about how well the bond money will be spent and how effective the oversight
committee might be. City of Durham staff followed a well-defined method for
evaluating firms and made their recommendations based on points earned
during the interview process. City Council then selected a different firm,
based on unknown criteria. We note that the Walltown Park Recreation Center
will take about 20% of the Parks and Rec part of the 2005 Bond Referendum,
and

We believe the oversight committee should be chartered to have at least the
following powers:
* Gathering consensus when the priorities for spending bond funds must
change (due to new needs, increased costs, etc.)
* Providing expertise in developing evaluation requests for proposals and in
evaluting responses (for example, experience in CPTED standards)
* Evaluating processes and proposing improved processes so that we become
more and more effective in the use of limited funds
* Receiving project information packets prior to the approval process for
our evaluation and input

Obviously, we do not want to make the already complex process of writing
city contracts worse. However, we believe that the committee?s charter needs
to be clear about what the powers of the committee will be, what aspects of
bond spending they will oversee, and what the consequences will be when the
committee is displeased.