INC NEWS - Fw: [NPNA] Accident on Club Blvd.

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:49:52 EDT 2005

I plan on contacting Phil Loziuk today about what appears to be a repeating tragedy on Club Boulevard.  From the intersection of Farthing and Club, all the way down to the overpass by the school, people are just driving way too fast.  In the case of the incident Friday night, these fellows had to be going really fast to have hit one tree, plowed through over 100 feet of liriope bed and then slammed into another tree so hard that the dent in the car was over a foot deep.  The passengers head went through the windshield and since the Forensics unit was called in to take detailed pictures and the way they removed his body, I don't think the second fellow lived.

Every ethnic group has members that drive drunk, however the last four serious accidents I can think of on Club were all caused by Latino males who had had way to much to drink and were driving way too fast.  There has got to be a way to send a clear message to our new neighbors about how dangerous this combination is.   It broke my heart to see this young man pulled from the wreckage.  I was talking with a neighbor and she remarked that these young men who are new here probably aren't used to living in an urban environment as well as not being familiar with the laws that govern the manner in which they should drive.  I don't know if El Centro Hispano is addressing this issue or not but clearly someone needs to and needs to do it soon.  I have commented in the past to my husband that attention should probably be brought to this problem but I didn't have a solution in mind and so didn't act on my concern.

I read in the paper today how judges and the district attorney are discussing whether charges will hold up against an individual if their rights can not be read in a language that they understand.  The article talked about two incidents where charges were dropped by the judge.  In one case the blood alcohol level was three times what it should be.  There are a lot of facets to this problem.  I noticed  a sign in Spanish at the DMV that stated alcohol and driving don't mix.  One sign at a drivers license office isn't solving the problem.

Northgate Park has a number of long straight streets that encourage speeding as well as the bad section of Club that I'm renaming Deadman's Curve.  Since Northgate Park has a high percentage of Latino residents, I wonder if perhaps we might start a discussion about how to reach out to these new members of our neighborhood.  I know that we have several bi-lingual residents who might be willing to help us start the communication process.   If our neighborhood is experiencing this problem, surely others are also and could benefit from our efforts.

I'll pass on to all what my conversation with Phil Loziuk produces.  In the meantime any dialogue would be appreciated.

Cheryl Shiflett