INC NEWS - Fw: Notes from meeting with REALTORS

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:49:10 EST 2005

At our last INC meeting,  someone requested an update with the initiative the InterNeighborhood Council and the REALTOR®'s Representatives Group has undertaken.

Leslie Page just posted the email below with the minutes taken by Julie Seagroves.

I've cut and pasted them below and included them in the attachment.

Please feel free to call or email any of us (or post them on the listserve) your questions, suggestions, desire to participate, etc

fyi-mike shiflett

Meeting date: 11/28/05

In Attendance:  Fen Adcock, Bill Anderson, Mike Shiflett, Cheryl Shiflett, Julie Seagroves, Ken Gasch, Leslie Page, Sheila Willis

Discussed meeting with property managers and then had discussions on how to work on the following situations:

  1.. BUS STOPS:  Have property owners approve and have a bench and trash can at every bus stop.  Arrange to have city service regularly.  Mike Shiflett to discuss with Tom Hartley of DATA.
  2.. FINES & FEES: Give police authority to tag immediately for cars parked in yards, trash, etc.  Ticket to renter, not landlord and owner.  Ken Gasch to speak with Captain Sarvis.
  3.. SUMMARY EVICTIONS: Have Magistrates courtroom be open to the public like Orange County.  Laws not enforced uniformly.  Julie Seagroves to speak with Archie Smith.
  4.. CRIME PREVENTION:  When a neighbor moves in, great them and give terms.  Colonial Village sample letter attached.
  5.. Call landlord if you see a tenant moving out or in.  This will help the landlord know when the tenancy has changed without their knowledge.
  6.. Create better leases to increase rental standards.
  7.. HOUSING: Fen Adcock & Mike Shiflett to work with the Housing Department to address the agency's redeveloping standards.
  8.. VENDER REGULATIONS:  Have the owner of the property type a letter authorizing agents to notify any trespassers that they are not authorized to be on the property.

It was concluded to try and concentrate all efforts on 1 small area in Durham first. This area to be chosen after discussions with Patrick Baker.  Suggested areas were the Barnes Ave. revitalization or any place that the city has invested money or have each PAC choose their own area.

The idea is to treat this area with the best response time for all city services (CNet team) and to concentrate on improving the atheistic appeal of the neighborhood, work to create an active neighborhood association and provide special tax deductions.  This would create THE place to live and invest in Durham - 1 place at a time.

Lastly we need to have a name for this new group.  Suggestions were to have a name and then acknowledge the parties involved.  Example:  Blight Busters in conjunction with the Durham Regional Association of REALTORS and Inter Neighborhood Council.  Need to also invite the Durham Chamber of Commerce to join us.