INC NEWS - Fw: Give dealers the credit - today's Herald Sun

Deb Christie dchristie1 at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 00:30:18 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Deb Christie
To: Ken Gasch
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 8:34 PM
Subject: Re: INC NEWS - Give dealers the credit - today's Herald Sun

Thanks for asking!  A good place to start is "The Heroin Solution" by Professor Arnold S. Trebach (Yale University Press, 1982) - a fun read, with a terrific history of drug laws.  Trebach, a professor of criminology at American University, founded what is now the "Drug Policy Alliance":

Drug Policy Alliance
Work: 212.613.8020
Fax: 212.613.8021
70 West 36th St, 16th floor
New York, NY 10018
(and offices in Washington, DC and other large cities)
membership at drugpolicy.org
www.drugpolicy.org

The DPA has a wealth of information about illegal drugs and drug policy, and a very sensible approach to drug regulation.

Their motto is "Reason.  Compassion.  Justice."

Another easy-to-read book is "Marijuana, the Forbidden Medicine" by Dr. Lester Grinspoon (a Harvard professor of psychiatry) and James B. Bakalar (Yale University Press, 1993).  I was mesmerized when I heard Richard Brookhiser (conservative editor of the National Review) speak in 1994 about his experience with testicular cancer, when marijuana was the only real help with severe nausea after chemotherapy.  Dr. Grinspoon provides information about many serious chronic illnesses for which marijuana provides wonderful palliative care (including most famously, AIDS).  What was revolutionary in 1994 has now become well-known, and medical marijuana legality is well on its way to becoming a reality.

You might want to try "The Diseasing of America:  Addiction Treatment out of Control" by Stanton Peele (Lexington Books, 1989).

The DPA site above should have a great deal of information and additional suggestions for reading.

Thanks so much for your interest -

Deb