INC NEWS - Neighborhood group honored (today's Herald-Sun)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 10:32:33 EST 2005

Neighborhood group honored
Herald-Sun, 29 December 2005

The N.C. Society of Historians recently presented its
2005 Paul Green Multimedia Award to the Old West
Durham Neighborhood Association for its Web site at
www.owdna.org/history.htm.

Old West Durham Neighborhood Association members Tom
Clark, Pam Spaulding, and John Schelp were recognized.

The N.C. Society of Historians was established in 1941
for the purpose of collecting, preserving and
perpetuating North Carolina's rich history; and for
recognizing those persons who fulfill the society's
objectives.

****

FYI, here are the judge's collective comments...

"This is one of the finest websites we have ever
visited. It houses some fabulous black and white
visuals, as well as colored; it takes the visitor on
cyber 'walking tours'; we are privy to interviews with
mill workers. We especially enjoyed 'Erwin Chatter'
with its riveting vintage photographs. The site also
provided us with maps, schools/stores/mills
information, data about the citizens of Durham, and
other interviews with them. It introduced us to mill
workers via photographs and snippets of information
about them and their mill service. The Bull City
Timeline is impressive and take us form the early
1800's to 2003! And... the Erwin Cotton Mills Timeline
was extremely interesting! At this time, we would like
to reiterate... this is one of the FINEST websites we
have evert visited! It is extremely well-researched
and planned, easy to use, eye-catching, has incredible
and substantial content, and we were very proud to
judge this entry!"

(source: NC Society of Historians)

****