INC NEWS - DRAFT Feb minutes

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 26 15:43:06 EST 2006

Two people said they had not seen Feb minutes, so I am either finally
sending them out or re-sending them in time for the meeting Tuesday!
Regards, pat

Inter-Neighborhood Council
www.DurhamINC.org
Minutes of Meeting of February 28, 2006

REPRESENTATIVES PRESENT
David Harris	Old Farm
Ed Cox	Clean Energy Durham
Libby Searles	Clean Energy Durham
Scott Job	Clean Energy Durham
Jill Fulmer	Clean Energy Durham
Marguerite Ward	Rockwood
Anne Guyton	Colonial Village
Rosemarie Kitchin	Falconbridge
Stacey Poston	City of Durham
Mike Woodard	WHHNA
Bill Anderson	Duke Park
Michael Shiflett	Northgate Park NA
Cheryl Shiflett	Northgate Park NA
R. W. Pickle	Forest Hills
Josh Parker	Lakewood Tuscaloosa
Bobbe Deason	Morehead Hill
David Reeder	15-501 Homeless Ministry
Jay Davis	15-501 Homeless Ministry
Charles Arozamere	15-501 Homeless Ministry
Beth Davis	15-501 Homeless Ministry
Pat Carstensen	Cross County
Cathy Abernathy	Hope Valley NA
Risa Foster	Trinity Heights
Mark Prokop	Rebuilding Together of the Triangle
Kevin Polk	Rebuilding Together of the Triangle
Barry Ragin	Duke Park
Thelma Glenn White	Emorywood Estate
Melissa Rooney	Fairfield

Introductions – President Mike Woodard opened the meeting.  Members
introduced themselves.

Clean Energy Durham – The purpose of the presentation was to encourage
individuals and neighborhoods to take smart and simple actions to reduce
energy use.  Climate change is real and really bad news.  In Durham, 59% of
energy use is related to buildings, 33% is related to transportation.  In
the home, 43% is heating and cooling, 13% water heating, 12% lighting, 8%
refrigerator, and so on.  In terms of greenhouse gases, you make 2# / KWH of
electric, 12# / therm of natural gas, and 20# / gallon of gas (it combines
1carbon atom with 2 oxygens from the air, so triples weight of gas).  Some
easy (and money-saving) things to do: compact florescent bulbs,
energy-efficient appliances, lower temperature for water heater, and power
strip for TV so it doesn’t use power when it is off.  More complicated:
solar hot water, which creates jobs in Durham, saves money in the long run,
and cuts greenhouse gases.  You can also help Operation Breakthrough and
other groups do weatherization of homes.

Roadside Selling Solicitation – The proposed resolution (Appendix A) needs
work: what is data to support assertions, are some of the people out there
veterans, we need to propose something positive, people are not blight.  The
Executive Committee will see how the resolution can be improved.

INC Fiscal Year – We thought it would be simpler to start fiscal year when
new officers take over, but it turns out to be confusing.  We approved
changing "upcoming" to "current" in Appendix B and sending the amended text
to the neighborhoods.  We will vote on the text in March.

Solid Waste – Stacey noted that (1) for free pick-up of bulky items, call
1-call to schedule.  (2) March Mulch Madness (5 different kinds!) will be
March 18 and 25 (see Appendix C).  (3) Spring clean-ups to get rid of junk.
(4) Earth Day.  (5) They are updating ordinances and code enforcement
(including getting carts in).  (6) For neighborhood clean-ups, call Mitch.
Also for the neighborhood where Duke Power left logs too big for Waste
Management, Randy Pickle does "wood for the hood."   Another neighborhood
has problems with illegal dumping and, in fact, defacing of "no dumping"
signs; better lighting may help and call 911 if see it happening.

Other Items
1. Members are reminded there are tours of new Super- Senior Center at about
3:45 the same days INC meets.
2. The minutes were approved.
3. Dues for 2005-06 are now due.  As of 2/09/06, we have $759.78 in checking
and $2226.49 in savings.   We spend about what we take in.
4. On public access to police data, the issues are mostly purely technical.
Durham’s head of IT will speak at March INC meeting.
5. Immigrant Needs Video (in Spanish, on rights and responsibilities of
tenants) is coming along.
6. The DRAFT Pedestrian Plan, all 120 pages of it, is out, and we can
comment until March 27.  See www.durhamwalks.org
7. Barking and roaming dogs are problems in some neighborhoods.  It is
ridiculous that you have to video-tape or get officer to hear dog barking
once a minute for 10 minutes to have the dog be officially a noisy dog.  We
will put it on agenda for future meeting.
8. Rebuilding Together helps fix up homes for low-income folks. See
http://www.rebuilding2gether.org/
9. Duke will discuss Central Campus plans on March 21, at Asbury United
Methodist Church.

The meeting was adjourned.

Appendix A
Whereas, panhandling and solicitation in the public right of way endangers
public safety;

Whereas, panhandlers and roadside solicitors often are in need of physical
and mental health services;

Whereas, undocumented cash donations often reduce donations to legitimate
charities;

Whereas, many undocumented cash donations are used to purchase drugs and/or
alcohol thereby promoting addiction and unhealthy habits;

And whereas, roadside solicitation and panhandling is a public nuisance and
commonly know as "blight";

Therefore, the Inter-Neighborhood Council of Durham supports ordinances
making begging, solicitation campaigns, and sales within the right-of-way
unlawful throughout the City and County of Durham, NC.

Appendix B
From:
The fiscal year shall run from October 1st through September 30th, and dues
for the upcoming year shall be due within 90 days of the annual meeting.

To:
The fiscal year shall run from January 1st through December 31st, and dues
for the upcoming (change to CURRENT) year shall be paid by April 1.

Appendix C
Durham, N.C. – Durham residents should grab their shovels and rakes, wear
their favorite team colors, and take advantage of receiving free compost and
mulch during the City of Durham’s "Mulch Madness" Saturdays in March.

The City’s Department of Solid Waste Management will be giving away compost
and mulch on Saturday, March 18, and Saturday, March 25 at the Waste
Disposal and Recycling Center, located at 2115 East Club Boulevard, Durham
from 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., for as long as supplies last.

Residents should look for the mulch giveaway signs to enter through the
special entrance off of Club Boulevard for the event.  The giveaway days are
limited to city and county residents in approved vehicles, which are pick-up
trucks and trailers less than 8-feet and non-commercial vehicles.  Residents
must also have a tarp to properly cover their loads.