INC NEWS - City response to Larry Moneta e-mail? (fwd)

kjj1 at duke.edu kjj1 at duke.edu
Fri Apr 7 08:19:21 EDT 2006

I'm glad the city council is discussing the timeline of the recent
gang-rape investigation and the unfolding events and ongoing media coverage
of them. I, too, am concerned about some of the negative ways Durham is
being portrayed. And while it seems that most of the discussion at council
yesterday centered on media portrayal, I am more concerned about how Duke
has portrayed Durham, most especially in the e-mail Larry Moneta sent out
to ALL Duke undergraduate, graduate, and professional students last
weekend.

I'm posting a letter I wrote earlier this week to city council, the city
manager, and to chief Chalmers. I spoke with Major Russ in the chief's
office about these concerns earlier this week, and I want to thank him for
returning my telephone calls and talking with me about these concerns
during what I'm sure is a very busy and stressful time in the department
and in the chief's office.

I hope the council and city manager will push to answer the questions and
address the concerns I've raised.

Kelly Jarrett