INC NEWS - INC/PAC2 Anti-Blight Campaign

Ken Gasch ken.gasch at hldproductions.com
Fri Apr 14 20:19:16 EDT 2006

INC/PAC2 Anti-Blight Campaign
Who to Contact to Reduce Blight

Blight is a crime magnet. Many of us want to help
reduce blight in our neighborhoods but aren't sure
where to start or who to contact.

It is important for all citizens to understand this
connection between blight and crime. Below are the top
four blight-causing issues for our city. Complying
with these ordinances is free or costs very little
money.

Most citizens do not realize that these ordinances
even exist. Our system of enforcement is
report-driven. If violations are not reported, the
situation cannot improve. You are the reporter that
our system relies on.

Nobody gets fined the first time. Cookies will be
handed out at PAC2 for folks who make at least 5
reports per month.

* No Parking in Yards:

A vehicle cannot be parked up on a yard. Parking on
grass causes trees and grass to die, sewer pipes to
collapse, increases rain water run off and detracts
from the value of your property. You must park in a
designated driveway unless you submit a site plan to
the planning office showing something different.

Make Reports to: Grace Smith, Zoning Enforcement
Supervisor. 560-4137x215, Grace.Smith at DurhamNC.gov or
you may submit a report on-line at:
http://durhamnc.gov/departments/planning/zoning_complaint_form.cfm

* Trash in Yards:

Yards and courts within the boundaries of the property
shall be kept clean and free of physical hazards,
rubbish, trash, garbage, debris, litter, or unstacked
wood.

Make Reports to: Department of Housing, Ask for a
Housing Inspector. In District 2, our inspector who
handles Trashy Yards is Larry Brooks. 560-4570 x274,
Larry.Brooks at DurhamNC.gov

* Inoperable Vehicles:

The exterior property areas of all premises shall be
kept free of objects and materials, including
abandoned or immobile motor vehicles, which may create
a hazard to the health and safety of the occupants or
surrounding community or which is a public nuisance.

Make Reports to: Department of Housing, Ask for a
Housing Inspector. In District 2, our inspector who
handles Inoperable Vehicles is Larry Brook. 560-4570
x274, Larry.Brooks at DurhamNC.gov

* Weedy Lots:

According to the Minimum Housing Code (Section 6-154),
any high grass and noxious weeds shall be kept mowed
or cut to a height of not more than six (6) inches.

Make Reports to: Department of Housing, Ask for a
Housing Inspector. In District 2, our inspector who
handles Weedy Lots is Larry Brook. 560-4570 x274,
Larry.Brooks at DurhamNC.gov