INC NEWS - solid waste article in todays paper

Anne Guyton annemguyton at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 07:08:33 EDT 2006

I would just like to say that like Randy I support this plan.

  This plan is what solid waste did before yard waste and bulky pickup  became a fee for service including Wednesday being reserved for bulky  pickup.  It is also consistent with solid waste policies in  several other places I have lived so its hard to image a new director  would have a problem with it.  I see no problem with the council  setting this as a policy in any case, the appearance of this city has  to be improved and this is one significant step in the right  direction.

  Yard waste and bulky pickup was taken out of the budget to prevent a  property tax increase, at that time several council members, Howard  Clement in particular, vowed to revisit the issue and put it back into  the general fund if it was unsuccessful.  I don't think there is  any question it has been an abject failure in terms of increased trash  around the city, and in decreasing citizen particiaption.

  A savings not talked about in the H-S article is what the Impact team saves by having fewer illegal dumps to deal with.

  Anne Guyton
  State St