INC NEWS - [TrinityPark] RE: agenda and proposed resolutions for April 25 meeting

Newman Aguiar newman at nc.rr.com
Sat Apr 22 16:47:31 EDT 2006

Susan,

I agree that as a driver it is a frightening experience to have somebody run
in front of your vehicle.  This is an experience, I'm certain most drivers
can relate to.  More than street intersections, it is a common occurrence in
subdivisions all over the US where children play in front yards and in the
streets.

In recent years, increasingly cities that have attempted to address
panhandling by implementing such bans on roadside solicitations by employing
"safety" to justify such ordinances.  Many cities have been successful in
passing such ordinances using this strategy, because who in their right mind
would not want to do something to help improve the safety of our fellow
human beings.

Perhaps, someone more familiar than I, with data on this issue can help us
better understand why this "safety" argument is problematic.  As I
understand it, according to the Institute of Highway Safety intersections
are very dangerous places for pedestrians in general.  I understand that
studies are beginning to be done to compare the risk and it has been shown
that vendors, panhandlers, and other street workers, actually have a
significantly lower risk than pedestrians.  Some suggest that one reason may
be because vendors, panhandlers, etc., tend to be familiar with the
intersections where they are working and are less likely to be distracted or
otherwise occupied in thought than the average pedestrian.

Also, recent studies of drivers show that a large number of accidents are
caused by the drivers being otherwise distracted and not paying attention to
the driving.  Also note that most accidents occur within a couple of miles
of a driver's home.  As pedestrians, we are constantly at risk from such
drivers.  I won't even get into cell phone use, etc. where we have clear and
convincing evidence of the deadly danger and choose to do nothing to make
laws to prevent this significant safety hazard.

Fact is that individuals who live with poverty, addiction and mental illness
face much greater risks to their safety.  I would ask you to consider for
yourself, why this particular risk (which for all practical purposes is not
even measurable compared to the other safety risks these individuals face)
is so important to us as a community?

The most amazing evidence to me, is that even after such ordinances are put
in place, little or no reduction in panhandling results.  So that ought to
suggest to us that even if a grave safety risk exists, it would not be
mitigated by the proposed ordinance.

Newman