INC NEWS - [TrinityPark] RE: agenda and proposed resolutions for April 25 meeting

Susan Gaylord susan_gaylord at med.unc.edu
Sat Apr 22 15:26:10 EDT 2006

Dear Newman and All,

Thanks for this notice.   As compassionate as it may seem (to some) to
support roadside solicitation, my experience as a driver in Durham and
Chapel Hill has convinced me that soliciting on foot by the side of
roads and highways is NOT safe or helpful to drivers -- no matter what
individual or organization is doing the soliciting.  For example, I was
involved in a near-miss situation on Guess Road, when the driver in
front of me stopped suddenly during a GREEN LIGHT and leaped out of the
car to purchase a newspaper from a median-vendor. My slamming on brakes
and swerving into the other lane prevented a possible rear-ending.  And
multiple vendors who appear with buckets at busy intersections (e.g. New
Hope Commons intersection) can cause multiple automotive chaos, however
careful they try to be, with drivers slowing down, reaching into their
pocket-books for change, and being distracted by solicitors walking into
traffic lanes -- in my personal experience.

- Susan Gaylord
Markham Ave.