INC NEWS - Future headline: Family of four injured, pedestrian (panhandle...

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 18:38:56 EDT 2006

I wasn't going to mention it, but Randy's posting makes me think it was a
bad day for standing in the roadway.

First, the proposal is only to remove folks from the roadways, and it's  only
up for the County at this time. I hope INC votes to endorse it, and hope to
later see the City follow suit.

I was at the light at Broad and Guess (Old five points) and saw the  vender
sitting sideways and cross legged on a flimsy looking folding chair. That
median is barely the size of the wheelchair that used to man that corner. The
feet of this chair have zero extra room.

Fortunately there wasn't  traffic in motion, and I was looking elsewhere when
it started. But as I look  back, he's waving is arms in the air they way you
do when you are losing your  balance. Well, he never fell, but he sure should
use a milk crate instead of  that chair.

I know the Herald wants to maintain these street vendors, but I'm convinced
that if Bob Ashley saw what I saw today, or maybe what Randy saw, the practice
 would end instantly.

I wonder why they don't station them in front of Northgate mall and sell to
pedestrian traffic. I bet more mall shoppers would buy on their way out, and
others might pull in to purchase and add to mall business.

We don't want the Herald to lose circulation, but none of us, including the
Herald, want to have a vendor squashed.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 4/24/2006 5:32:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,