INC NEWS - [pac2] Noise ordinance too petty to prosecute??

Ken Gasch ken.gasch at hldproductions.com
Thu May 18 12:29:35 EDT 2006

Hi Jo,

In my humble opinion, we don't need an expensive decibel meter to tell us when a noise is a nuisance.

As I understand it, these decibel meters only measure the absolute amplitude of a sound wave.  You can sleep like a baby next to waves crashing or a loud water fall.  Both of these things can measure very high on a decibel meter and possibly even higher than is the "legal limit."  But, you might not be able to sleep if you hear the faint sound of a dripping faucet.

The human is brain is unmatched in its sophistication.  In my opinion, police officer testimony is much more valuable than a reading from any meter.  The "thump-thump-thumping" of loud music is a nuisance.  Dogs barking is a nuisance.  If people can't sleep, the noise is a nuisance.

The Crime Cabinet recently had a state circuit judge speak about an unpopular ruling that he made in a recent case involving shootings on a DATA bus.  I felt as though his side of the story was what was missing from the initial story that only spoke of the public's outcry.  I came away with a better appreciate of our legal system.

By better understanding legal decisions and our laws, I feel that our community can plan better ways to cope with future occurrences of common community problems.  Should we ask a sitting District Court Judge to come speak to PAC2 or INC?  Visiting this issue with Judge LaBarre is probably not entirely appropriate.  I would suggest asking Judges Morey or Hill.

I would like to understand what factors are considered when looking at a criminal case of noise ordinance violation.  This understanding will help citizens and police collect better evidence and then, only the evidence that is needed.

Should the matter be taken up in a civil court where the burden of evidence is lower?  Can a neighborhood association act as a complaintent in civil court?

If you work to invite a judge, I will speak with the leaders of both PAC2 and INC and see about getting them a time slot.

Ken
220-0351