INC NEWS - solid waste workers are not cheap

bragin at nc.rr.com bragin at nc.rr.com
Fri May 19 08:56:02 EDT 2006

Randy,

i think Patrick did a pretty thorough job explaining the hows and whys
of the current sanitation worker scheduling issue, so there's really no
point in continuing to beat the straw man of these guys being "part-
time" workers anymore. They're not, regardless of how many hours they
actually spend on the truck.

As to the larger issues you raise, let's think this through a bit.

Should sanitation workers be paid on a par with entry level McDonald's
fry cooks? This question i think answers itself.

Should sanitation workers be paid on a par with skilled construction
workers? Maybe, maybe not. By the way, i'm curious where your $13/hour
figure for construction workers comes from. Most of the skilled
electricians, plumbers, glazers, masons, etc. who i run into make
considerably more than that. Perhaps that's a figure for generally
unskilled apprentices around the job site? To my mind, having a guy on
the garbage trucks who can get the job done is worth more than a guy
with
a shovel and a wheelbarrow moving dirt at a construction site, but
that's a subjective analysis, and you may think otherwise.

Regardless, our sanitation crews perform a necessary function. How
necessary? Just look at how upset people have gotten at having their
trash go uncollected for a day. What that means in a simple supply/
demand analysis, is that the demand for their labor is high enough that
their compensation is probably going to exceed the minimum wage which
you may think they are worth.

As for unilaterally changing the compensation structure which Patrick
tells us has been in place for nearly 9 years, common sense and a
modicum of knowledge of labor history shows that such attempts, when
imposed by management, universally cause resentment among the workers
doing the job. The greater the perceived loss of wages or quality of
working conditions, the greater the resentment. In parts of the country
where workers are represented by unions, such attempts will almost alw
ays be met with organized withholding of labor, or a strike, in other
words. You may think that the answer to this situation is to make "some
personnel changes in a hurry," but not only would that be morally
wrong, it falls into the category of what my father used to call
"cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Using contemporary workplace jargon, what needs to happen is that all
of the stakeholders need to be brought to the table, and take ownership
of whatever changes need to be made. It may very well be that
sanitation workers in Durham are overpaid by regional and historical
standards. But i suspect that any unilateral attempt to cut those wages
and benefits unilaterally will result in a whole lot more garbage being
uncollected. Fortunately, it takes me a month or more to fill my trash
can to the top, i compost pretty much everything that can be composted,
and i live near to the recycling center. So i'm probably less dependent
on the sanitation crews than a lot of Du
rham residents. Even so, i don't think we do the city a favor by
calling for any employees wages to be reduced in this manner. Our
sanitation crews live in and spend money in Durham, contributing back
to our economy. Why shouldn't they be paid a living wage?

Finally, the temp issue is a real one. If the crews are compensated
based on the tasks (routes) completed, and not their hours worked, i
don't see any problem with that. But if the tasks are not being
completed, and the crews are still reaping the benefits of that wage
structure while the city is forced to hire temp workers to finish the
job, then that's a legitimate problem to be addressed. I suspect that
if one were to dig deeply into the issue, all kinds of things we don't
like to talk about might arise, many of which would have nothing to do
with the guys riding on the backs of the garbage trucks. But solving
this part of the problem is, i think, more difficult than you seem to
think it is.

Barry Ragin

----- Orig
inal Message -----