INC NEWS - [pac2] Trash Pickup

Colin Crossman lists at crc32.com
Mon May 29 10:53:19 EDT 2006

I have another thought regarding the ability of the one-man truck to
determine when a bin is collectible:

Recently, there's been some discussion regarding the compensation of the
solid waste collectors.  As I recall, they're on a task system, whereby
they receive fixed compensation for completion of their allotted
routes.  Any work after that, is paid overtime.  This creates an
incentive problem - the worker has the discretion to say that your bin
is uncollectable, thus speeding his route, and increasing his potential
for overtime (paid at time-and-a-half).  Because the collector can hide
behind the imprimatur of "safety," there will be little scrutiny of his
decision.

It costs us more to have less trash collected, and increases it by the
safety and health hazard of uncollected refuse piling up in resident's
bins & houses.

-Colin Crossman
Walltown