INC NEWS - Yard Waste Plan Trashed?

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Mon Jun 12 11:37:54 EDT 2006

If Stacey is correct (and I have no doubt she knows more about this than I
do), then it looks like all of our efforts to get a city-wide yard waste
plan has been tossed. Personally, this is of great concern to me. Not just
because this is something that INC has pushed very hard for, but because
it contributes to how this entire City looks. It was also a recommendation
of the Appearance Committee I believe. I understand there is a desire to
come up with a budget that "everyone" thinks the citizenry will buy, but
the realities of it are that we'll buy what we're sold. And if we're
looking to buy something and it gets tossed because of an arbitrary figure
(that's what the budget really is; nothing is set in stone), then it's
hard to buy the other stuff that is being shoved down our throats.

Council wanted this, INC wants this, the City needs this, so where's the
problem? We're going to pay for whatever we get sold. At least let us buy
some stuff that is critically needed. Perhaps if they cut the funding for
cleaning up the illegal dumping they'd get a better picture of what kind
of problem we're really talking about here. It's already costing us to do
that because there is no city-wide plan.

No brushy/bulky item pickups, no city-wide yard waste plan, and a code
enforcement officer that is only funded for 3/4 of a year. Hardly an
effort to deal with our solid waste issues that are a blight to all of our
communities. The Executive Board meets this week and I'll be looking
toward them to come up with a plan of action to get some of these items
back on the table. I was led to believe that because of the Bond passed
last year, there would be no tax increase. Since that seems to be out the
window, at least the City should do something that benefits the entire
City instead of something for some of these  special interest groups.
There is a bigger picture here.

RWP
27 Beverly