INC NEWS - traffic on Washington Street

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 10:34:29 EDT 2006

Dear neighbor,

FYI, below is a message from Barry Ragin of Duke Park
about the opening of Washington St.

~John

****

Although NCDOT reminds motorists to "obey the posted
speed limit", I think our neighbors who live along or
near Washington St. are going to be reminded of just
how few of Durham's residents actually obey the speed
limit.

I encourage those of you who live along Washington St.
to pay attention to how the traffic behaves when the
bridge is reopened, and not to hesitate to post to the
listserv, call the city Transportation Department
(560-4366) or the Police Traffic Enforcement division
(560-4314) if it becomes apparent that the new bridge
is encouraging drivers to speed through our
neighborhood.

I'd also like to ask Sgt. Gunter if he can arrange to
have some of Durham's finest keep an eye out on
Washington Ave. over the next few weeks to make sure
that drivers get the message that speeding through
this part of our neighborhood will not be tolerated.

[posted with permission]

****