INC NEWS - Animal Control Issues

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Sun Jul 23 22:27:41 EDT 2006

Marlene

 You asked this question off line, because it concerned your  particular
problem. But your question and problem are so central I'll reply in  the public
forum. Members of the media monitor these lists, this should well  alert them
there is a hot story brewing. The Herald Sun reporters are lucky the  INC meets
in their building, thanks to a kind offer from Bob Ashley long  ago.

 You asked if you could come if you weren't a member. First, the  public is
always invited.
Second, Inter-Neighborhood Council is comprised of member neighborhoods, I
think you live in the Northgate Park neighborhood, so you've been a member for
many years.
Much of Durham has.

 As to your personal problem with a dog who's grown vicious due to  being
chained continuously, you don't seem to be alone. This seems to be a  problem
city-wide, months ago was voted the number one issue in the  minds of the
neighbors at the priorities setting session of  INC.

 Chained dogs become antisocial, bark, and generally disturb the  peace, but
the more important point might be mandating humane  treatment for the family
pet. Two active groups from Orange and Durham County  have been pursuing, and
recently combined their efforts, to reform our laws.

 VERY IMPORTANT to note that INC had determined this to be a priority  and
had begun addressing it, long before Kim Willis had expressed strong  concerns
about other issues at Animal Control. INC simply provides a public  forum.

 Unfortunately, INC and Animal Control meet at the same time, on the  fourth
Tuesday of each month. Had we known such other issues would arise, we  might
have tried to move one of the scheduled meetings. Should  you expect these
other issues to be brought up at INC's Tuesday meeting? I  personally hope so.
When a very long term staffer is trying to blow the whistle,  I think it's worth
hearing the message.

 INC just provides the public forum, we don't predict the future and  know
what events are about to make them even more relevant.

 Appreciate that long term frustration can lead to a rather rabid
exploration on any topic, but INC can stand the heat, we've been running  the kitchen
for a couple of decades.

 See you this Tuesday night, 7pm, Herald Sun Building. No such  thing as an
"outsider" where Inter-Neighborhood Council meets.

Bill Anderson
Immediate Past President INC

Marlene wrote:

Bill:

If a person is not a member of INC, can they still attend a meeting?   I'm
very interested in this topic for many reasons but one is really hitting  home
for us.  Our neighbor, which seems to hit all cylinders when it comes  to
making the neighborhood angry, has a Rottweiler chained long enough to reach  our
property line.  The older this animal gets the more aggressive she's  becoming
because of being chained up.  It's very scary, to the point where  we can't
walk down our drive without being scared to death that the dog will  break the
leather collar (again).

Please let me know if an 'outsider' may attend.

Thanks!
Marlene Hankins

TheOcean1 at aol.com wrote:

FYI

Inter-Neighborhood Council will be looking at animal control  issues at the
Tues July 25 meeting, Herald Sun building at 7pm

A resolution to stop the chaining of dogs in Durham is first up on the
agenda, and other issues follow.
Should be interesting, and as always, the public is invited

Bill  Anderson