INC NEWS - Performances & Events - Aug & Sept

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 10 20:11:24 EDT 2006

American Tobacco Amphitheatre and Warehouse Blues Series in West Village
features Music Maker musicians (for description of organization see below.)

August 12

Home Movie Day

The 4th annual, world wide HOME MOVIE DAY is almost
here.

Share your home movies with neighbors and friends.
Bring your 8mm, Super-8, and 16mm films to Duke
University's Rare Book Room in Perkins Library on
August 12th between 1 pm and 5 pm.

Film experts will be on hand to PROJECT your movies on
the big screen and to advise on preservation concerns.

BONUS:  Film preservation hand outs.

Contact: Karen Glynn at 660.5968, karen.glynn at duke.edu

---------

Friday, August 11

The Dynamite Family Band (World Fusion Band) note different band

Warehouse Blues Series*
West Village Courtyard (off Morgan Street - near Tosca's restaurant) in
downtown Durham
6 - 8 pm
Rain or Shine
Free
www.durhamnc.gov/events/Event <http://www.durhamnc.gov/events/Event> (see
events calendar)  Note new web page

For more information call (919) 560-4355.

------------

Friday, August 11

Workbook
(Jazz/Modern)

A Triad-based ensemble, Workbook is made up of three veteran musicians. From
straight-ahead jazz to thoughtful modern compositions, Workbook covers a
wide range of emotional and stylistic genres with every performance. An
exhaustive repertoire of standards and original compositions composed by
Brad Newell and Jeff Weichinger and the combined ability and creativity of
these artists creates an exciting jazz experience.

Brightleaf Square Courtyard
7 ­ 9 pm
Free
www.historicbrightleaf.com (see events)

Department
Forest Hills Park (1639 University Drive)
6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Free

Celine Berman

Celine's jazz repertoire is sprinkled with "scat renditions that come from
the soul". Her interpretation of internationally acclaimed jazz favorites
attests to her musical versatility.  By including songs in various
languages, Celine provides her audiences with an unsurpassed world-class
feel.

Sharon Raenorth

I love to sing jazz (straight-ahead, contemporary, smooth, etc.) and
standards. Though, often I'll add some R&B and Top 40 to my sets, sometimes
even giving them a jazz-flavor.

For more information visit www.durhamnc.gov/events/  or call (919) 560-4355.
(Information taken from this site)

Warehouse Blues Series
West Village (off Morgan Street - near Tosca's restaurant) in downtown
Durham
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Rain or Shine
Free

For more information visit www.durhamnc.gov/events/  or call (919) 560-4355.

Department

Warehouse Blues Series
West Village (off Morgan Street - near Tosca's restaurant) in downtown
Durham
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Rain or Shine
Free

For more information visit www.durhamnc.gov/events/  or call (919) 560-4355.

----------

Friday, August 18

Lynn McGee & the Monarchs
(Blues/Cover)

The soulful seasoning of Lynn McGee, Scott Moore and Chris Berry combined
with hot licks from the rhythm section are sure to get hearts pumping, and
feet stomping. Their celebration of music includes soulful blues, rootsy
rock, classic rhythm and blues and much more. Interwoven are original tunes
in the same genre and are sure crowd pleasers.

Brightleaf Square Courtyard
7 ­ 9 pm
Free
www.historicbrightleaf.com (see events)

----------

Friday, August 25

Still House Bottom (Bluegrass/Country)
Mark, A.C., and Alan got together on New Year's Day, 2000, and had such a
great time they decided to work up a few tunes and share them with the world
as the Stillhouse Bottom Band. After a few months, they thought it would be
nice to have a bass to round out the bottom, so we asked Bobb to join them,
and they have been making great music ever since.

Brightleaf Square Courtyard
7 ­ 9 pm
Free
www.historicbrightleaf.com (see events)

----------

American Tobacco Amphitheatre  433-1570
324 Blackwell St. (across from Durham Baseball Athletic Park)
Blues musicians (from Music Maker Relief Foundation) and country music
Thursdays 5:30 ­ 7:30 pm through August 31rst. No picnics.  No coolers.
Free
http://www.americantobaccohistoricdistric.com/

-----------

Friday afternoons from 12-2PM

Brightleaf Square Courtyard
Free
www.historicbrightleaf.com (see events)

FRIDAY AFTERNOON MUSIC
This summer we are also featuring music each Friday afternoon from 12-2PM in
the Courtyard. Eat on the patio at any Brightleaf restaurant or place an
order to go and enjoy lunch while listening to jazz, acoustic, and other
performances.

----------

September 16th and 17th (note date change from last year)

Saturday:  10 - 6
Sunday: 12 - 6
$3 Suggested Donation for Admission

CenterFest, The Durham Arts Council's Largest Annual Event
560-2722

Foster Street (near Durham Central Park in the Central Park District note
location change)

Featuring over 100 artists and two stages of alternating music.

The location is surrounded by local art galleries and studios.

www.durhamarts.org <http://www.durhamarts.org> <http://www.durhamarts.org/>

To Volunteer:  Sign up online at www.centefest.durhamarts.org
<http://www.centefest.durhamarts.org>

----------

(Note the concerts do not last as long as in previous years.  If you do not
like the sound level you have plenty of time to plan ahead.)

Friday, September 8 & Saturday September 9

Bull Durham Blues Festival   683-1709
Historic Durham Athletic Park Durham
6 ­ 11 pm
Tickets cost
www.hayti.org/blues/index

Friday, September 8, 2006

9:30 pm ­ 11 pm
Hubert  Sumlin & Pinetop Perkins With
The Willie ³Big-Eyes² Smith Band

8:15 pm ­ 9:15 pm
The Kenny Neal Band

7 pm ­ 8 pm
Walter ³Wolfman² Washington & The Roadmasters

6 pm ­ 6:50 pm
The Clayton Miller Band

Saturday, September 9, 2006

9:30 pm ­ 11 pm
The Lonnie Brooks Band

8:15 pm ­ 9:15 pm
Nora Jean Brusco with Carl Weathersby

7 pm ­ 8 pm
Smokin¹ Joe Kubek Featuring Bnois King

6 pm ­ 6:50 pm
Mighty Lester And The Blues Kings

------------

Additional  Entertainment Web Pages and List Serves for the Triangle:

Triangle Folk Music Society  www.rtpnet.org/~folk/

Friends of world Music www.friendsofworldmusic.org/

Music Maker Relief Foundation (blues) www.musicmaker.org/events.html

----------

*Music Maker Relief Foundation strives to help the true pioneers and
forgotten heroes of Southern music gain
recognition and meet their day to day needs. We support the health and well
being of these legendary
musicians.  Our organization provides the ways and means to expand their
professional careers and share
their unique musical gifts with the world. Music Maker does this for the
betterment of their lives and for
the preservation of our culture.  The programs it offers are: musician
sustenance, musical development,
musical advancement,  cultural access and New Orleans musician¹s fund.

Music Maker Relief Foundation
http://www.musicmaker.org

Laura