INC NEWS - [NPNA] Man Wanted for Assualt of 89-year-old

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 13:05:12 EDT 2006

All,

Cheryl has just returned from the preliminary hearing and bond setting (12:30 Monday afternoon).   She was able to speak at it and present pictures we'd taken of the bruises, strangulation marks and abrasions he left behind from the attack.

Judge Brown increased bond to $300,000 and made it unsecured (requiring at least $45,000 cash) to post bail.

>From what I understand, the District Attorneys office was able to provide information on his criminal record including arrest warrants, convictions and other violations from not only North Carolina but also three other states!

However,  we were very disappointed to hear the the public defender ask that the bond be set lower at $50,000.  Which begs the question,   "what public is he defending?".  Thank you Judge Brown for weighing in on 'our' safety.

Cheryl promises to be at his next appearance on Thursday.

Everyone involved wants to thank each of you who've sent emails, phoned or personally spoken words of empathy for Marie.

She's one tough lady!

Each example of your caring makes her feel better.

Many, many thanks to Theresa in Northgate Park who called 911 on Thursday afternoon to report suspicious activity in the park that eventually lead investigators to close in on Maurice Anthony Caston.  It initiated a series of questions that lead investigators to be hot on his trail.

According to all accounts,  he was a one man crime spree Thursday afternoon.

We also want to pray for the woman who was attacked the same day and ended up in the hospital (name withheld with respect) for her head injury.

Thanks to Project Safe Neighborhood and Rob Faggart from organizing the community response on Saturday along with the many police officers (mobile police station) that came out on some of their days off to participate in updating and reassuring the neighborhood.

We owe it to all of the Durham Police Department (investigators, crime preventions officers and administration) for working on not just this crime,  but also the other violent crimes that have happened lately in our community.

You've all proven that Durham remains a great place to live!

You all ROCK!

mike shiflett