INC NEWS - Duke Central Campus: voices from the community

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 12:15:31 EDT 2006

The concerns raised by the stakeholders reflect the
views of many in the community...

"One of the major concerns to date has been whether a
too-heavy commercial presence of stores and
restaurants on Central Campus would provide adverse
competition for nearby businesses on Ninth Street.
Businesses on Duke campus get an automatic leg-up
because of easy access for students and tax advantages
not shared by Durham-based entrepreneurs."
--Herald-Sun editorial

"INC supports the position that the new
University-College District is the most appropriate
zoning designation for Duke's Central Campus. The INC
also supports the list of limited retail uses that was
worked out with Duke and endorsed by the partnership
neighborhoods in 2003."
--Durham InterNeighborhood Council

"It makes abundant sense that the community should be
interested in what happens in the redevelopment of 128
acres of Duke's Central Campus."
--Herald-Sun editorial

Thomas Stith said elected officials "need to be very
cautious in giving Duke a blank check," and insist
that the university emulate other builders by giving
the city a good idea of how the project will be laid
out.
--Herald-Sun

"I'd like to see as much specificity as we can see on
this, and that's something the neighborhoods have
asked for."
-- Councilman Mike Woodard

"In general, the more detail the better. And I have a
history of trying to work out stuff and trying to get
as many committed elements [in rezoning cases as
possible.]"
-- Councilwoman Diane Catotti

"Stith singled out the question of commercial space,
saying he wants restrictions that make sure new
enterprises don't have an unfair competitive advantage
over existing businesses."
--Herald-Sun

"I wish there was a little more back and forth than
the university letting us know what they're doing."
--Josh Parker, Durham (Herald-Sun)

Plans to relocate the student bookstore and T-shirt
shops to Central Campus caused grave concerns among
Durham merchants and residents from near-campus
neighborhoods. Too much commercial development at
Duke, they complained, could further isolate the
walled-in campus from the city and give students few
reasons to go to nearby restaurants or stores that
count on their business.
--News & Observer

"I believe it's going to impact Ninth Street business.
If people have more choices, they are going to have an
impact."
--Hamad Ghanayem, nearby merchant (on WRAL)

"Plopping down a big box Barnes & Noble would be a
disastrous expression of corporate largesse and
insouciance about the local economy. The Regulator is
a family-owned bookstore on 9th Street with a
college-feel, and could expand its operation in a new
facility on Central."
--student column in Duke Chronicle

"...it is far worse to keep the surrounding business
in Durham at their current disadvantage and to
continue to deny them business from Duke students."
--Elliott Wolf, student column in the Duke Chronicle
(now Student Body President)

"The provision of non-residential space has prompted
concern on the part of nearby neighborhoods about how
much non-residential space will be provided. This
concern is commendable. No one is interested in seeing
a project that will negatively impact nearby
commercial areas along Ninth and Broad streets."
--Ted Conner, Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce
(letter in Herald-Sun)

"Duke, which is considerably more well endowed than
any of those institutions, apparently gouges both
their students and the local merchants while accepting
the two-fold subsidy we taxpayers give them as an
educational institution: Tax breaks for donors to the
university and a pass on the payment of property and
sales taxes
 Looks like they want it both ways: To be
considered needy, do-gooder education providers when
it comes to claiming a public subsidy, while playing
aggressive, private sector-style entrepreneurs when it
comes to economic relations with the surrounding
town."
--Tom Clark, letter in Herald-Sun

"You've got Duke putting everything they can on campus
so the students don't leave and things like that
happening, which makes it that much harder for any
business to make it in any of these towns."
--James Lee, co-owner of "305 South" (N&O)

"It's important for all, as this process continues, to
make sure that Ninth Street -- one of Durham's most
vibrant business areas -- is enhanced, not hurt, by
Duke's plans."
--Herald-Sun editorial

"I think it is inherently wrong for an institution to
make money off retail and be in competition in a city
where they pay no taxes."
--Carol Anderson, Ninth Street merchant

"I believe many of these could be converted to
committed elements."
--Durham Planning Director Frank Duke

"The underlying issues are straightforward and can be
addressed," in most cases with fairly simple
solutions.
--Planning Commission chair Don Moffitt (Herald-Sun)

****