INC NEWS - City Manager Announces Key Organizational Changes

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri Aug 18 17:48:44 EDT 2006

>From the City PR Dept.

RWP
27 Beverly

Durham, N.C. - City Manager Patrick W. Baker has announced key
organizational changes that will improve efficiency and greater emphasize
key areas of focus for the City of Durham, effective immediately.

“I am really excited about the restructuring,” Baker said.  “For the past
two years as city manager, I have been really listening to the community
and to Council members.  Very clearly, our priorities should be taking
better care of our neighborhoods, improving our economy by attracting more
and better jobs, and making internal changes that help our organization
operate more efficiently.  I feel these changes do just that,” he said.

Two departments will be affected by the changes.

·         The former Department of Housing and Community Development will
become two departments:  The Community Development Department and the
Neighborhood Improvement Services Department.  This change will provide
more focus on improving existing housing and property throughout the city,
Baker said.  Mike Barros is continuing as the director of Community
Development, while Constance Stancil, former assistant director, has been
named director of Neighborhood Improvement Services, which includes
community relations coordinators and housing inspectors focusing on code
enforcement as well as the Impact Team, which is responsible for removing
graffiti and cleaning up illegal dump sites throughout the city.

·         The Fleet Management, Communications Maintenance and Fire
Equipment Maintenance Divisions have been consolidated and separated from
the General Services Department, and will continue under the leadership of
Kent Cash.  The new Department of Fleet Management will allow a more
organization-wide approach to managing the City’s $100 million fleet,
which includes garbage collection trucks, heavy equipment, fire, police
and other vehicles throughout the organization. It also will manage the
City’s emergency radio system and equipment, as well as maintain the
City’s fire suppression vehicles.  According to Baker, the restructuring
of General Services will allow Director Mark Greenspan to concentrate more
on important capital improvement projects, including the recently passed
$110 million bond program with projects throughout the city.

In other adjustments, to elevate programmatic priorities in the
organization and in the community, Budget Director Julie Brenman has been
tapped to lead strategic initiatives, while Economic and Employment
Development Director Alan DeLisle will broaden his focus on workforce and
economic development projects throughout the city.  Brenman, whose new
title will be Assistant City Manager for Budget and Strategic Initiatives,
will take on new duties to initiate organization-wide projects to improve
service delivery and internal customer service, in addition to developing
the City’s annual budget.  DeLisle’s new title, Assistant City Manager for
Economic and Workforce Development, reflects an increased emphasis on
developing partnerships locally and nationally to improve Durham’s
economic base.  Both will continue to report directly to Baker.

Also, the titles of Ted Voorhees and Wanda Page have been changed from
assistant city manager to Deputy City Manager, to recognize their
supervisory duties over the majority of the City’s 24 departments, in
addition to directing the City’s day-to-day operations.  None of these
changes will impact the City’s budget, nor result in any compensation
changes for affected employees.

About the City of Durham

The City of Durham is dedicated to improving the quality of life in our
community by delivering cost-effective, highly responsive services with
integrity and friendliness.  Through our more than 2,000 employees, we
provide numerous services citizens depend on everyday, including public
safety, garbage collection, water management and maintenance of roadways
for the city’s more than 200,000 residents.  The City also strives to meet
the safe and affordable housing needs of its residents, while working to
ensure that our citizens enjoy a prosperous economy in an environment that
embraces and promotes its cultural diversity and heritage.  For more
information about the City of Durham, visit www.durhamnc.gov.