INC NEWS - FYI -- Letter to undergraduates from VP for Student Affairs at Duke -- and link to President Brodhead's convocation speech

Susan Kauffman susan.kauffman at duke.edu
Fri Aug 25 12:27:48 EDT 2006

Larry Moneta thought some people might be interested in this letter that he
has emailed to all Duke undergraduate students. Among other things, it
refers to the Duke Community Standard and calls for students to be
respectful of neighbors and to obey laws both on and off campus.
Best wiehes,
Susan Kauffman

Dear Undergraduate Student,

      I welcome the class of 2010 and all our returning students for what
promises to be an exciting year at Duke.  Individually and collectively,
you contribute a marvelous energy to the start of fall classes, our
residential communities and the vibrancy of student life. In other words,
we’ve missed you and we’re glad you’re here!

      In commemoration of the start of the fall term, I am attaching for
your reading pleasure the matriculation convocation address delivered by
President Brodhead to the Class of 2010.  I hope you can find time to savor
the wisdom, humor and ongoing invitation from the president to all our
students to “build your own Duke”.

      To that end, throughout the summer, many people have been planning
for a new year of programs, initiatives and ongoing support of your Duke
education, both in and out of the classroom. Please utilize the many
resources available to support you. We’re here to help you make the most of
your Duke experience.

      While much will seem completely new and even, at times, overwhelming
for our first-year students, returning students likely have noticed some
major changes—including the opening of the new Plaza on West Campus. This
place is yours to do with what you wish: program on it, plan events in
various venues, hang out, sample foods from the many surrounding eateries
and food carts, pull out your laptops (it’s fully wireless), relax, nap, or
enjoy a bit of cooling off in the mist fountain.  Dozens of activities have
been planned over the next several weeks, so be watching for a weekly
listing of events (or go to http://osaf.studentaffairs.duke.edu).

      With the beginning of a new year also comes a reminder about our
responsibility to ourselves and one another. Duke is a community in which
honesty, trustworthiness, fairness, and respect for others are bedrock
principles.  The Duke Community Standard—our honor code—outlines this
framework for the undergraduate community. Many of these policies are
outlined in the 2006-07 Bulletin of Information and Regulations, which
governs undergraduate student conduct and how allegations of policy
violations are addressed.  First-year students were given a copy of this
handbook when you moved into your residence halls.  Transfer students will
receive it through their orientation.  Upperclass students should contact
the Office of Judicial Affairs at 107 West Union Building or via email at
judicial at duke.edu to receive a copy.  The Bulletin is also available
through the Office of Judicial Affairs website
(http://judicial.studentaffairs.duke.edu) or the University Registrar’s
site (http://www.registrar.duke.edu).  Please become familiar with these
policies and procedures, some of which have changed since last academic
year. The Office of Judicial Affairs Web site lists these changes.

      A special request:  if you live off campus or visit others off
campus, please consider the needs of our neighbors and your obligation to
be familiar with and obey local, state, and federal laws. Off-campus
students most often experience conflict with neighbors over noise and trash
generated by their guests and from other social activities that attract
large numbers of students. Many of our neighbors are people who have made a
long-term commitment to their city and neighborhood. Many of them work at
Duke and chose to be near the campus so they could more easily participate
in campus life with students. Please be sensitive to their concerns and
help to maintain a safe and peaceful environment. You represent Duke both
on and off campus.

      Please also be aware of your personal safety as you move about on and
off campus. Safety is all of our responsibility. Be smart and take
particular care to secure your residence/room and property, even when
leaving for just a few minutes.  Be alert to suspicious behavior around
you. One of the great strengths of the Duke community is our deep care and
concern for each other.  Duke Police is committed to providing a safe
campus and to informing you of crimes or arrests that occur on or near
campus that are potential imminent dangers or may impact our lives.  For
Duke policy on this, see
http://dukenews.duke.edu/duke_community/policy.html#crime.

      Federal regulations require that we let you know Duke’s policies
against unlawful possession or use of alcohol or other drugs.  These
policies, along with resources for those who may need assistance in
addressing abuse, are located on the Judicial Affairs’ web site:
http://judicial.studentaffairs.duke.edu/.  This year the University has
implemented a new campus-wide alcohol policy applying to all departments,
faculty, staff, students, and groups. It serves as an umbrella policy for
undergraduate expectations and states the University’s commitment to the
responsible use of alcohol. Regarding alcohol use, I urge you to make
decisions that will not negatively affect you or others.  Last fall,
Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE), an independent law enforcement agency of the
State of North Carolina, cited almost 200 students for underage possession
or other violations of state alcohol laws the first weekend following
students’ return, at off-campus residences adjacent to East Campus.  All
indications are that ALE, as well as Durham Police, will again closely
monitor select student living areas and hangouts and take a zero tolerance
approach to violations of laws.

      In closing, I’d like to convey my deep admiration for the way Duke
students weathered a very difficult spring semester. The lacrosse incident
has raised issues of race, gender, class, alcohol, and campus culture.
These are issues we take seriously at Duke, and it’s the nature of this
institution to step up to difficult issues and face them.  While many of
these issues are found to varying degrees on other campuses, Duke has the
opportunity to take a lead in addressing them.  One of our goals this year
is for students, faculty, administrators, and others to learn from each
other and the events of last spring, and to work together to make Duke a
place where respect for all who study and work here is not only a primary
value, but a daily practice.

      I hope your summer has been restful, enjoyable, challenging, and
inspiring in all the best ways. Again, welcome to—or welcome back to—Duke.
I look forward to welcoming you to your campus.

Warmest regards,

Larry Moneta
Vice President for Student Affairs

President Brodhead's convocation speech
http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2006/08/convocation.html

Susan Kauffman
Director of Special Projects
Office of Public Affairs & Govt. Relations
Box 90028
Duke University
(919) 681-8975