INC NEWS - INC Booth At Centerfest Changes Rules

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Sun Sep 17 14:17:08 EDT 2006

What a great opportunity it was yesterday (and it's still going on until
6pm today) to be down at Centrerfest and get to talk with a bunch of folks
we never get to see at our meetings. No doubt, we'll have a whole new
bunch coming to our meetings in the coming months! Even after 21 years,
people haven't heard about us. It would appear that we are going to have
to creat a special team to get out in the community and help neighborhoods
organize. Organization and communication were two issues that kept being
heard (as well as a number of other issues we'll review over the coming
months collected at the event). This whole idea of getting out into the
public at an event like this was a good one.

We were excited when we heard that the Durham Arts Council was giving cash
prizes (three cash prizes; 1st, 2nd, and 3rd) for the best booth.
Unfortunately, it was only to the craft booths and not to the non-profits.
But all of this is going to change next year because of INC  booth this
year. We were told by the event staff that they were sorry for leaving the
non-profits out of this competition and would change that next year; and
adding one more award, Best of Show. That is the award they said we'd get
yesterday for having the best booth at the event. Thanks to to Mike and
Cheryl Shifflet, David Harris, Ken Gash (for the printed materials), and
Mike Woodard for helping to set the booth up and to all those who
volunteered their time to come out and help staff the booth during the
event. It really was a rewarding thing to be involved with, meeting all of
the neighbors we have across town and who were looking for some help on
various issues.

I have a couple of photos I'll post next week so you can see how we
represented you. And I would urge anyone to get involved with something
like this in the future. It was great to see so many people interested in
what we're doing.

Thanks,

RW Pickle