INC NEWS - New City Program Promotes Environment-Friendly

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri Sep 29 15:22:55 EDT 2006

>From the City PR Dept.
RWP
27 Beverly

EnviroStars Pledge to Conserve Resources and Prevent Pollution

Durham, N.C. – Durham Ritz Car Wash Manager Victor Wallace said his
business has always wanted to set an example when it comes to
conservation, but they didn’t always know the best way to go about it.
Now, through a partnership with the City of Durham, his business can get
free advice on ways to conserve water, recycle and deal with stormwater
runoff.

In a cross-department effort, the City has launched a new program to
promote recycling, water conservation and pollution prevention at Bull
City businesses.  EnviroStars, a recognition and training program, offers
support to owners and managers striving to “green” their practices.
Businesses benefit through cost savings, free publicity and demonstration
of good corporate citizenship to customers.

The City’s Departments of Public Works, Solid Waste Management and Water
Management created the program to address City Council’s goal that “All
citizens enjoy a healthy environment.”  EnviroStars encourages voluntary
compliance with local ordinances on recycling, grease handling, stormwater
runoff and water conservation.

“For us, the drought conditions of several years ago were scary,” said
Wallace, whose business was one of the first to join the EnviroStars
effort.  “It really makes you realize that water is a limited resource
that is taken for granted until you don’t have it.  During that drought,
we were close to the point where we didn’t know if we were going to be
allowed to do business.  We have maintained the conservation measures we
began then and are still at that level today. We want to be good stewards
of these God-given resources that are important for us to run our
business. We want people to know we care and really make an effort to
conserve year-round, not just during drought conditions,” he said.

When businesses sign up to take part in EnviroStars, they are asked to
complete a survey detailing their business, conservation and recycling
practices.  The EnviroStars team then makes recommendations and provides
training to help each business become a better environmental partner.

“We have done well in some areas,” Wallace said, “but there are other
areas where we can do better. The City staff will provide us with some
valuable education on what we need to do.  They are a great source for the
information businesses need to have.  It is also valuable for our
customers to see that we are involved with EnviroStars, because
conservation matters to them also.”

In addition to the Durham Ritz, other businesses that have become initial
EnviroStars members include Autorific High Performance and LaserWash Car
Washes, Quizno’s Subs on South Miami Blvd., Elkins Chrysler-Mitsubishi,
The Picnic Basket, Carolina Biodiesel and Austin and Hayworth Laundry Mat.
 Customers will recognize EnviroStars through a decal on the door or
window of participating businesses.  A list of participants is also
available on the City’s website at http://www.durhamenvirostars.org.

For information or to enroll, visit the website or contact Laura Webb
Smith, public education coordinator of the Stormwater Services Division
with the City’s Department of Public Works, at (919) 560-4326, extension
235 or via e-mail at laura.smith at durhamnc.gov.

About EnviroStars
EnviroStars is a collaboration between the City of Durham Departments of
Public Works, Solid Waste and Water Management to encourage businesses to
reduce and prevent pollution and to conserve natural resources. The
program recognizes and promotes businesses that demonstrate
environmentally responsible practices. To learn more about EnviroStars,
visit the City’s website at http://www.durhamenvirostars.org.