INC NEWS - follow-up: Duke needs to resubmit its pedestrian plan (letter in today's Duke Chronicle)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 17:53:20 EDT 2006

folks,

We don't have to choose between the trees and a
sidewalk on East Campus.

I understand from staff that we can have both.

We can have a paved pedestrian walkway around East
Campus (inside the wall) with 5 foot-wide pedestrian
entrances at each corner.

This solution saves the trees and provides the
sidewalk (since the ordinance says alternative
walkways outside the Right-of-Way shall have the same
functionality as a conventional sidewalk).

Duke keeps talking about building bridges with Durham
so I'm sure they wouldn't object. It would also be
safer for students.

I've just sent a request for a paved walkway and four
pedestrian entrances (along the East Campus jogging
trail) to Michael Palmer, head of community relations
in Duke's PR office.

When I receive his reply, I will share with the
listserv.

take care,
John

****

follow-up note sent this afternoon...

Dear Council and Commissioners,

I raised several issues in my message about Duke's
pedestrian plan -- reflecting the input and concerns
of many.

My main point is that Duke University needs to
re-submit its pedestrian plan and provide more
connectivity.

The plan that was submitted is unacceptable. There are
gaps throughout.

The details can certainly be worked out. For instance,
no one is suggesting that we cut down all the trees
outside the East Campus wall tomorrow. Duke has
already started planting replacement trees on the
inside of the wall (look at the Broad St section,
between Perry and West Main).

Surely there is a mechanism we can establish to have
both trees and future sidewalks.

As it stands now, the plan is woefully inadequate.
Gaps exist on Anderson, Duke University Rd and Cameron
Blvd.

Since Duke officials have said in public meetings that
connectivity is important, they will likely embrace an
opportunity to improve what they've submitted.

FYI, below is my letter from today's Duke Chronicle.

have a good day,
John Schelp

****

Letter: Duke's sidewalk plan inadequate
Duke Chronicle, 2 October 2006

The Pedestrian Plan that Duke recently submitted to
Durham's Development Review Board for approval is
woefully inadequate. Duke's plan leaves off a
significant number of future sidewalks-which gives the
University a pass on sidewalk requirements outlined in
Durham's ordinance.

In public hearings, Duke has repeatedly affirmed the
importance of sidewalks and pedestrian connectivity. A
review of its pedestrian plan suggests that talk is
cheap.

According to local officials, Duke seems to be working
behind the scenes to avoid building sidewalks near its
projects. Here are three examples:

1. Although a sidewalk is required in Duke's current
site plan for the new Center for Integrative Medicine,
the University is trying to eliminate a sidewalk along
Cameron Boulevard, undermining an important
integrative characteristic of the new center. Local
officials have indicated that Duke wants to re-submit
a site plan that will omit the sidewalk (based on the
new, weaker requirements in Duke's proposed pedestrian
plan). One negative effect of this change is that it
would be more dangerous for the many people who walk
along Cameron Boulevard to football games and other
events at Wallace Wade stadium.

2. Duke was also supposed to build a sidewalk in front
recently expanded and renovated Washington Duke Inn on
Cameron Boulevard, a big money maker for the
non-profit University. While the local planning
ordinance states that Duke's new sidewalks must have
the same functionality as conventional sidewalks, Duke
is trying to argue that the jogging trail fulfills
this requirement. Some must wonder how a dirt trail
covered with mulch that goes back into the woods is
the same thing as a paved, all-weather,
pedestrian-friendly sidewalk along Cameron Boulevard.

3. Duke is trying to argue that the gravel trail
around the inside of the East Campus wall serves the
same function as a sidewalk and that therefore, Duke
shouldn't have to build sidewalks around East Campus.
While the gravel trail inside the East Campus wall
might be suitable for joggers and dog walkers, it is
not the same as a sidewalk designed to facilitate
pedestrian traffic. Does Duke seriously expect a
pedestrian-a parent pushing a baby stroller-to climb
over the wall at the corner in order to walk along
Buchanan, Markham, Broad, or Swift?

Finally, with regards to the Central Campus
redevelopment, concerned neighbors have asked Duke
several times to pay special attention to the northern
pedestrian portals at Anderson Street and at Ninth
Street. Duke officials have assured us they will
attend to these matters-assurances that are called
into question as Duke's recent efforts to avoid
including adequate, appropriate sidewalks in their
site plans come to light. Instead of trying to save
money, Duke should create a safer environment for
students, visitors, fans and neighbors. Instead of
scaling back their commitments to sidewalks, Duke
should be working even harder to build better,
pedestrian-friendly bridges with Durham.

John Schelp
Resident, Old West Durham Neighborhood

****