INC NEWS - City Receives 17th Consecutive Award for Distinguished Budget Presentation

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Nov 8 22:21:12 EST 2006

>From the City PR Dept.
RWP
27 Beverly

National Award Highest Form of Recognition in Governmental Budgeting

Durham, N.C. – The City of Durham has been cited again for its budget
reporting by the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA), a
professional association with over 16,800 members in the United States and
Canada that has served the public finance profession since 1906.

GFOA presented the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award to the City’s
Department of Budget and Management Services for its annual budget for the
fiscal year beginning July 1, 2006.  This is the 17th consecutive year
that the City has received this award.

“I am proud of everyone who assisted in the preparation of this budget and
especially the members of the Budget and Management Services Department
for their continued commitment to financial excellence and
accountability,” City Manager Patrick Baker said.  “We have a team of
employees that are dedicated to the integrity and efficiency of the City’s
budget and this is just one more example of the excellent work they do
each day to keep our citizens informed about their government and how
their tax dollars are spent.”

In order to receive the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award, the City
had to publish a budget document that met GFOA’s program criteria as a
policy document, operations guide, financial plan and communication
device.

A complete copy of the City’s budget is available on the City’s website at
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/bms/06-07budget.cfm.  To learn more
the City’s 2006-2007 budget, contact Julie Brenman, assistant city manager
for Budget and Strategic Initiatives, at (919) 560-4111, extension 282 or
via e-mail at julie.brenman at durhamnc.gov.

To learn more about the GFOA, visit http://www.gfoa.org.

About the Department of Budget & Management Services
The mission of the City of Durham’s Department of Budget & Management
Services is to inform and enhance management and City Council
decision-making to ensure the accountability of all City funds and to
evaluate and recommend the best use of public resources. To learn more
about this department, visit the City’s website at
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/bms/.