INC NEWS - Durham Tap Water Wins Statewide Taste Test

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri Nov 17 22:40:29 EST 2006

>From the City PR Dept.
RWP
27 Beverly

Tap Water Tops In State Association Contest

Durham, N.C. - Tap water from the D. M. Williams Water Treatment Plant,
the City of Durham’s oldest water treatment facility, was judged as the
state’s “Best Tasting Tap Water” in a contest held as part of the North
Carolina Section of the American Water Works Association and Water
Environment Association annual fall conference in Greensboro, N.C.

Williams plant tap water competed with 19 samples submitted by water
providers across the state for the Nov. 15 contest.  A panel of five
impartial judges tasted water samples for about an hour before the results
were tallied, with Durham’s tap water rising to the top.

Each year, the “Best Tasting Tap Water” contest is held as a part of the
North Carolina Section of the American Water Works Association and Water
Environment Association annual fall conference. This is the second time
that the City has finished in the top spot.  Durham’s tap water was
selected number one in 1999; previous finishes were second in 1985, and
third in 1994 and 1995.

Terry Rolan, director of the City’s Department of Water Management and
Renee Lawrence, superintendent of the department’s Water Supply and
Treatment Division, were on hand for the taste test.  “We hear lots of
compliments from our customers on the taste of our tap water,” Rolan
said.  “Our number one finish shows that the appeal is statewide.  And,
tap water is a bargain when compared to commercially bottled waters.”

About the Department of Water Management
The City’s Department of Water Management is committed to: providing an
adequate supply of safe drinking water for all citizens of Durham;
protecting the environment through effective wastewater treatment (water
reclamation), water conservation and infrastructure maintenance; providing
quality customer service and affordable water and sewer services;
maintaining full compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements
while managing natural resources cost-effectively. For more information on
the City’s water quality or water treatment process, visit the City’s
website at www.durhamnc.gov or call (919) 560-4381 to request a copy of
the 2005 Tap in to Quality report.