INC NEWS - traffic calming measures research

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri Dec 8 10:41:02 EST 2006

I just ran across this research study that looks into the various traffic
calming methods being deployed today. As I mentioned as we looked at
traffic calming measures over here, it'll slow down rescue traffic. I've
already seen it happen one time. Will someone die because help did not
arrive in time because of them? Time will tell. But as the rescue personel
said upon arrival this last time, when the hit this neighborhood, they had
to slow down to less than 5 mph. Here's the title of the research:

Livable Streets, Dangerous Roads: Traffic Calming Endangers the Lives of
Those in Need of Emergency Services

You can find it here:

http://triangle.johnlocke.org/research/display_report.html?id=77

RWP