INC NEWS - yard waste program

Anne Guyton annemguyton at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 9 07:31:06 EST 2006

The only solution to the money problem is NOT deployment of the entire city at once.  The change over to green carts was not handled this way so why would yard waste?  The cost of the new carts could be spread over time with phased implementation.  There could be a one time charge that subsidized the purchase of the carts, $10, 20 or 30 per household spread out over a year on water bills.  There could be a time period where the carts were free and then you paid for them - the green carts were originally handled this way when curbside collection was voluntary.  The point is that the cost of instituing city-wide yard waste can be worked out.

Part of the budgeting process should also include a fair assessment of what will be saved by the storm water system not being clogged up, the economic impact of a cleaner more beautiful city, and what the is saved by not cleaning up illegally dumped yard waste.

A point I have not seen in any of these postings is the savings to each household on income taxes, small though it may be - fees are not tax deductible on the federal return but property tax is.  Returning the cost of yard waste to the general fund would extend that benefit to everyone in the city.

Anne Guyton
2503 State St