INC NEWS - Events

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 23:59:29 EST 2006

Through ­ December 23, 2006
Life on Mars, Part I: A Photo-Critique of America by Jean-Christian Rostagni

Through This Lens  919.687.0250
303 E. Chapel Hill St  downtown Durham, (between the Marriott and the Post
Office)

According to the photographer, many people in Western Europe wonder exactly
what planet Americans are from ­ baffled by ³apparent incompatibilities
between the America that we see as a place of advanced technology, a
laboratory for progress, and the America which also gives us the death
penalty, war mongering, and religious fundamentalism².  Mars, home of the
God of War, seemed to be the most likely candidate.  Rostagni¹s work is
smart and political, filtered through the lens of an outsider who knows
their subject well.  Even more relevant in the post 9-11 era, the exhibit¹s
premiere is timed to closely follow November¹s mid-term elections, with the
balance of the United States Congress at stake.

---------------

through January 7, 2007
Youth Document Durham: A Five-Year Retrospective, 2000 - 2004

Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University 660-3663
1317 Pettigrew St.  (Off Swift Ave., across from Duke University¹s East
Campus. at Main St. Broad becomes Swift. Hwy 147 take Swift Rd. exit) (D)
www.cds.aas.duke edu/

"Young people-­in various circumstances and for many reasons­-have often
been the subjects of documentary photographs. In Durham, North Carolina, not
unlike other places, youth have also often been the subject of intense
debate among local leaders and politicians, discussions which include the
high school drop-out rate, perceived youth gang issues and teen violence,
the rising teen pregnancy rate, and the growing numbers of Spanish-language
learners. Youth Document Durham (YDD), a program at the Center for
Documentary Studies at Duke University, grew out of a simple idea in
response to these realities. We wanted to put cameras and audio recorders in
the hands of a local group of racially and culturally diverse young people
so that they could represent their own lives through words and pictures to
each other and to the community.

"One of the values inherent in teaching documentary work is found in the
learning that comes from doing fieldwork. Youth Document Durham teaches
young documentarians a meaningful and purposeful way of interacting with the
world around them. They begin to see how they are connected to a larger
community, how they are similar to people they thought vastly different from
them, and how their actions affect the people around them.

------------

through January 2007

Holiday Artists' Marketplace in The Scrap Exchange Gallery

The Scrap Exchange  688-6960
548 Foster Street, Durham
www.scrapexchange.org

-----------

through April 1, 2007

Reclaiming Midwives: Stills from All My Babies   Photographs by Robert
Galbraith, Film by George C. Stoney

Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University 919-660-3663
1317 W. Pettigrew Street, Durham
Reception: January 18, 6 - 9 p.m., with Artist's Talk at 7 p.m.
http://cds.aas.duke.edu

----------

On display indefinitely.
Fieldwork: Unearthing Stories of North Carolina Agriculture

The Marketplace, East Campus, Duke University.  Open the hours that food is
served.

Fieldwork features photographs and narratives of farmworkers, farmers, and
food transporters in an exhibition that attempts to spotlight and to
humanize the largely invisible steps involved in bringing food from the
ground where it's grown to the table where it's consumed. On display in the
Marketplace dining hall on Duke University's East Campus, Fieldwork
encourages Duke students and faculty and other viewers to ask questions, to
consider how the stories they see portrayed might lead to rethinking
agricultural practices, and to help ensure that the food we eat comes to us
through a process that is consistent with our values.