INC NEWS - 2 things as neighborhoods meet this month

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 9 09:59:53 EST 2007

THis is how UDO defines home occupation
Home Occupation: Any occupation conducted by the inhabitants of the
dwelling, which is
secondary to the main use as a dwelling, and causes no change in the
exterior of the
dwelling.

Which doesn't exactly answer the question since they don't define
"occupation."

I think I was told that occupation == business ==> have customers, and
telecommuting means you do it for an employer so don't have customers.

As I understand it, zoning is supposed to regulate what your use of your
property does to your neighbors.  If your "telecommuting" is for different
people to play music loudly in their homes while recording it over an
Internet link (with background sound of neighbors pounding on doors to
complain), or if your "working from home" involves keeping and using
dangerous chemicals, we would want the regulation to cover that.  But
classic "cell phone and computer office work" should have no effect on
neighborhood so not be covered.