INC NEWS - lead (Pb) in the water

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 09:16:04 EST 2007

Patrick Baker had a guest editorial in the Herald-Sun yesterday.
http://www.heraldsun.com/opinion/columnists/guests/68-808939.cfm

We will discuss lead in the water at the January meeting.  I have been
reading the report on the apartment building where they first found lead in
the water.  It was writen by Dr. Marc Edwards of Virginia Tech (I couldn't
find anything bad about his research in 7 pages of google results, for what
that is worth).

A couple key points:
1) Greenville, NC has had similar problems

2) It doesn't seem anyone understands very well how to decide before hand
how chemicals you add to the water for water treatment will interact with
the natural water chemistry -- whether or not it will do nasty things to
lead in the pipes.  Durham water had OK Ph and was not corrosive by
conventional measures, but it seems to have too much of Cl:SO4,2 (this is
the best approximation I can do without subscripts)

3) High flow rates bring out a lot more lead than low flow rates, so if you
are flushing your taps in the morning, do it at the fastest rate you will be
doing all day.

4) particles of lead can get trapped in aerators, and flushing doesn't help
with these at all.  Worst case is that a particle gets flushed out into
water you are drinking, which is more likely at high rates of water flow
than at low rates.  This is why you should be cleaning aerators and any
other filters periodically.

5) Different pipes, even within the same building and installed by the same
person, showed different levels of lead in the water.

Folks at Duke have also done some work in lead in the water in Wayne County:
M.L. Miranda, M. Overstreet, D. Kim, A. Hull, C. Paul. “Changes in Blood
Lead Levels Associated with Use of Chloramines in Water Treatment Systems.”
Environmental Health Perspectives. Online November 2006.
http://www.nicholas.duke.edu/cehi/about/publications.htm

Regards, pat