INC NEWS - [pac2] Column: Go for the big fish to stop a sea of traffic problems (Durham News)

Barry Ragin bragin at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 20 09:59:55 EST 2007

John - thanks for posting this. I ran into Frank last night at Culture
Crawl and we had a good conversation about this piece.

Two points i'd like to make, though. First, on Roxboro St. north of the
the Knox St. intersection, NCDOT has added two lanes, one northbound  in
addition to the so-called right hand turn lane southbound. Further down
the hill at the overpass itself, Roxboro widens to 7 lanes.

The second point is that in 2001 and 2002, when community opposition to
the proposed design was at its greatest, DPNA, with the support of
Durham City Council, County Commissioners, and the regional MPO had the
opportunity to present our case directly to Secretary Lyndo Tippett at a
special meeting at City Hall. About 20 Duke Park residents spoke about
how ridiculous and dangerous the new design would be, and the
deleterious effects it would have on our neighborhood. As i recall, i
presented some statistical information from transportation planning
guidelines which indicated what percentage and volume of traffic making
a right hand turn would be needed to justify building a dedicated lane.
I asked District 5 engineer Jon Nance to provide the data showing that
level of traffic was present at Roxboro and Knox St. Mr. Nance was
unable to provide any traffic counts for that intersection because, as
he put it, the counting equipment had malfunctioned. At that time i
entered the results of a hand count which i had done into the
discussion, which showed that the percentage and number of cars making a
right hand turn into the neighborhood fell far short of the guidelines
under which a dedicated turn lane could be justified.

Unfortunately, Durham at the time was represented on the Transportation
Board by Mr. Ty Cox, who did not see it as his job so much to represent
Durham citizens as to kowtow to the staff of NCDOT. I am certain that
Mr. Spaulding, who has been a forceful advocate for the East End
Connector, would have been a better representative of our needs.

At that point, Secretary Tippett ruled that the intersection would be
built as designed, effectively leaving the neighborhood with no further
options for changing this. The solution for crossing Roxboro St., as
presented by Mr. Nance, was to head north on Roxboro to the bottom of
the hill, where there would be a signal at the collector/distributor,
cross the 7 lanes of traffic, including right-on-reds from northbound
Roxboro to the c/d,, and from the c/d to southbound Roxboro, then walk
back up the hill to Knox St. As Frank mentions, Roxboro St. is about 50
feet wide, just south of the Knox intersection. This proposed walk is
about 300 yards, or nearly 20 times as far. It's hard to imagine a
parent with a toddler in tow and an infant in a stroller making that
trek, or a 10 year old on a bike going to the park not dashing directly
across the street where the park actually is.

Unfortunately, it's all too easy to imagine the consequences when
someone decides to use the so-called right turn lane as a passing lane,
and accelerates up the hill to get around the traffic in the through
lane at the same time our 10 year old is riding her bike across the street.

It would be great if changing this particular monstrosity was as simple
as getting Secretary Tippett to try to cross the road with his grandson.
But what then of the dozens of other roads throughout the city equally
as dangerous? How long will it be before there's a fatality on the Duke
St. or Gregson St. overpass on I-85 between Northgate Mall and Brogden
Middle School? Another fatality on the Guess Rd. speedway between Horton
and Carver? Didn't the city just spend over $300,000 developing a plan
to improve pedestrian safety throughout Durham? Aren't these exact
problems anticipated and addressed in this plan?

As our city grows, and our urban neighborhoods become more popular and
populous, we can't afford to let the state DOT continue to make
decisions that put our residents, especially our children, at risk. It
doesn't take a Nostradamus to know that without major policy shifts,
more pedestrians are going to be killed and seriously injured in Durham
for engaging in the simple act of walking to school, the park, or the
grocery store.

Barry Ragin
1706 Shawnee St.