INC NEWS - Duke bus routes and Roxboro pedestrian access

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 15:41:51 EST 2007

Extending Duke bus routes is great news, John.

Incidentally, I wrote the NCDOT and Gov Easley
regarding the turn lane on Roxboro and the lack of
consideration for pedestrian access and neighborhood
input.

The NCDOT responded as follows:

"Once our I-85 project is completed, pedestrians will
be able to cross Roxboro by walking via sidewalk to
the ramp area where they will be able to cross Roxboro
by way of a signalized crosswalk. This adds about
800-900' to get to Duke Park but is much safer than a
mid-block signalized crossing would be that would
allow you to go straight across Roxboro.

NCDOT does an excellent job seeking public citizen and
municipality input into our projects such as this one.
Public hearings are held well in advance of the
project (probably 8 years ago). At that time citizens
and the City of Durham were given the opportunity to
give input/requests in the project.

I hope you will find the finished product will serve
your neighborhood well.

Brandon Jones
Division Operations Engineer"

In my response, I noted that he said nothing of the
turn lane that Frank Hyman stated the neighborhood did
not think was necessary.

Ah well. Just thought I'd pass on the response of the
NCDOT.

Melissa

Melissa Rooney
mmr121570 at yahoo.com