INC NEWS - Fw: Durham Image Watch (1/29/07)

David Harris harrisdl2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 29 13:59:03 EST 2007

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Reyn Bowman <reyn at durham-cvb.com>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 12:29:03 PM
Subject: Durham Image Watch (1/29/07)

Okay, here's an alert from Sam Poley of Starlu Restaurant.  Image Watchers can cut their teeth on this one while we await the tool that will let anyone of us post in real time.

The issue:

Durham is robbed of attribution in many positive news stories because the AP office in Raleigh datelines them Raleigh, NC.  Its the imbalance of faint or no attribution for the positive compared to full attribution for the negative that over time shapes image problems.

I won't get into details now but the AP hides behind a policy where it feels it must dateline a bylined story by the name of the city where the reporter wrote the story.  We're working with them to do it like Bloomberg and dateline the story so the reader knows where the story takes place and put a notation at the bottom for anyone knowing where the reporter was sitting.

Below are three examples from the humerous story about caffinated donuts:

Fox News - http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,248041,00.html
CNN - http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/29/caffeine.donuts.ap/index.html
Miami - http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/breaking_news/16569787.htm
The call to action:
As Sam and DCVB have each done, use the links below to express that it is very confusing and also unfair to Durham to dateline stories that take place here by the name of another city, just because the AP office is located there.  Suggest they correct the dateline to Durham, NC and just note the location of the reporter at the bottom of the article if it is important.

CNN.com – Email Managing Editor Kurt Muller at kurt.muller at cnn.com  or fill out the form at http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form6.html?1

 Fox News – Email News Director Kathy Ardleigh at  kathy.ardleigh at foxnews.com, or general email comments at foxnews.com

Miami Herald – Email Online Edition Editor Casey Frank at cfrank at MiamiHerald.com or Managing Editor/Multimedia Rick Hirsch at rhirsch at MiamiHerald.com

Feel free to copy me at reyn at durham-cvb.com

Reyn Bowman, Durham CVB