INC NEWS - Editorial: Durham has it going on (Herald-Sun)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 10:57:19 EST 2007

Editorial: Durham has it going on
Herald-Sun, 9 Feb 2007

Mayor Bill Bell's state of the city message this week
touched on some of Durham's pervasive problems --
urban neighborhoods that need revitalization, city
government that needs to be more accountable, and city
streets that need to be safer.

These problems certainly exist in Durham, but they are
not unique to our city. In fact, they are common to
most American urban areas.

But the flip side of these problems, we shouldn't
forget, is that great things are indeed happening in
Durham. We sometimes have a tendency to criticize our
own community, but we should remember this: Many of
the cities that share our problems would be envious of
the progress that we've made.

Durham is a city on the upswing, as was recognized in
2006 by Forbes magazine, which named Durham -- not
Raleigh-Durham or the Triangle -- as the eighth best
city in the country in which to live. And as Bell
pointed out, in 2007, Durham was named one of the top
100 best communities for young people, one of only two
in North Carolina.

We are blessed with a vibrant economy, excellent
universities, low unemployment, a temperate climate
and close proximity to North Carolina's natural
splendors of mountains and oceans. The high tech heart
of the region -- the Research Triangle Park -- is
located almost completely in Durham.

Our downtown, which just a few years ago was on a
downward slide, is making an impressive recovery.
Where there were once empty warehouses are now
restaurants, offices and nightspots. New condominiums
and apartments are being refurbished that will bring
even more residents downtown. Downtown is getting more
exciting every day, but other parts of Durham are also
blooming, from the south to the north.

As an exercise, try making a list of all the things
you love and appreciate about Durham and then sharing
them with friends. You may be surprised at the length
and variety you find.

Bell's annual reports on his view of the city are
valuable because they remind us that this is a city
that isn't shy about identifying its problems. That's
a good thing, because problems, once identified, can,
with energy and commitment, one day be resolved.