INC NEWS - Letter of notification to Fairfield re. Herndon Road rezoning

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 17:14:12 EST 2007

Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. Duke. I
believe that the planning department does their job
very well. And I did not mean to imply otherwise. You
guys are also very approachable and responsive. I do
understand that once the property has been mass
graded, there is nothing that can be done. It just
seems that, many times, it is this physical
manifestation that is the first indication to a nearby
neighborhood that the property has been rezoned at
all.

It is my understanding that developers/landowners
applying for rezoning applications are required to
notify the adjacent neighbors ONLY 1) when the
proposed development will generate enough traffic to
bother the neighbors (and that developers often come
in with  one less dwelling than will trigger the
requirement) OR 2) it takes a change in the
Comprehensive Planning Map.

>From the Website, the UDO states:
> > Neighborhood Meeting
> > A. All applicants shall hold a neighborhood
meeting prior to submitting an application, but after
a pre-application conference, for the following
development reviews:
> > 1. Amendments to the Comprehensive Plan; and
> > 2. Zoning map changes that require a TIA pursuant
to Sec. 3.3, Traffic Impact Analysis [which I have
been told means that traffic will increase by more
than 150 trips]; and
> > 3. Other applications as may be specified
elsewhere in this Ordinance.

In the case that neighborhoods aren't notified in this
manner, according to the UDO, planning/gov't doesn't
have to contact nearby neighborhoods for every public
hearing (except via the local newspaper), just the
ones listed in the UDO (quoted below from the
website):

>> b.  For amendments to the Comprehensive Plan,
Zoning Map Changes, Site Plans that require mailed
notice pursuant to Sec. 3.2.5A, Summary of Notice
Required, and Major Special Use Permits, mailed notice
shall also be provided to any organization located
within 1,000 feet of the site under consideration
which is registered to receive notice pursuant to Sec.
3.2.5D, Registration to Receive Notice by Mail.

>>d.  The notice shall be mailed at least 14 but not
more than 25 days prior the date of the public
hearing.

If I am interpreting these sections of othe UDO
correctly, it just seems to me that many applications
for rezoning can fall through the cracks. As
illustrated at the public hearing for the Scott Mill
Rezoning case last night, even if it DID explicitly
comply with the pertinent ordinances, the manner in
which Mr. Ripley dealt with the neighbors appeared
dishonest and serious issues beyond those explicity
stated in the UDO were also discussed.

Fairfield has had the correct contact person with
Planning since I joined the INC 3 years ago, so
it is not a question of whether a rezoning
notification (or public hearing notice) were sent to
the correct
place.

Again, I mean no offense, whatsoever, to the planning
department. I think you all do your jobs very well and
with sincerity. It's just that after attending the
board of commissioner's meeting last night, it
appeared that there was room for improvement in
neighborhood notification and participation. I would
not have even known about this rezoning public hearing
if not for a chance email forward from a member of my
neighborhood listserv. And others who attended the
board meeting last night were in a similar situation.

Thanks again for your consideration of my concerns
here. And thanks, too, for providing me with the
information you already have.

Sincerely,
Melissa

Melissa Rooney