INC NEWS - Urban hike: West Durham, East Campus, Ninth Street & beyond (Sat, 3/31)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 12:35:55 EDT 2007

Sierra Club hike: West Durham, East Campus, Ninth
Street & beyond

Saturday, March 31 at 9:00 AM
Meet at Oval Park (West Club & Oakland Ave)

Was Duke Chapel really going to be built in Walltown?
Where did Kudzu guy Doug Marlette go to school? Why is
Ninth Street called Ninth Street? Where did Madonna
take early dance lessons? What song writer for Nora
Jones (and Lou Rawls) was "born on a kitchen table"
near Magnolia Grill?

Come along and find out...

4-mile loop starts at corner of West Club & Oakland
Ave. We'll walk up to the West Ellerbe Trail in
17-acre Urban Nature Reserve, head over to Westover
Park, and go past the NC School of Science & Math.

We'll then walk down a mysterious route, over to
Walltown, along Markham Ave, past the Bassett Affair
house on Buchanan. We'll then go down Watts Street,
past Trinity Park, and cross East Campus.

We'll stroll up Ninth Street, past EK Powe, and see
the South Ellerbe Creek Nature Area. We'll finish in
an old mill village and check out a historic house --
ordered from a Sears & Roebuck catalogue.

You'll see some nature and learn a little Durham
history along the way. We might also get into some
local current events.

Local history lover John Schelp will narrate along the
way. You don't have to register.

Oval Park is on Club Blvd -- about three blocks west
of the NC School of Science & Math. Ample parking (for
your bike or car) is available on streets near Oval
Park. Well-behaved dogs on leashes are welcome.

Questions: Janet Hitti (janet.hitti at verizon.net)

More info & old streetmap...
www.owdna.org/selfguidedtourOWD.htm

Mark your calendars for Sierra Club's next hike...
Saturday, April 28 in Hayti (meet at 9AM at Stanford
Warren Library).