INC NEWS - Next Act: Fat Lady Sings

Ken Gasch Ken at SeagrovesRealty.com
Wed Apr 4 13:34:22 EDT 2007

Bill,

In my humble opinion, partnerships of different groups and cooperative efforts will always be more effective than one group's efforts.  As an artist myself, I must admit that I was not entirely blown away by the Durham Star when it first came out.  However, with each passing day, it continues to grow on me.  It is safe to say that, today, it holds a special place in my heart.  In fact, I am very proud every time I see that darn star.  My parents came into town to visit two weeks ago.  I did not realize the pride I have for that darn star until I caught myself showing my parents the new sign in front of the DCVB building on Morgan Street.  "That is our new brand, mom and day."

I tried to explain why I was pointing it out to them.  I could not really find the words to express my thoughts then and I cannot find those words now.  Durham is something different to each person who lives in or visits our town.

To me, this brand represents a whole bunch of different people and groups coming together and saying in a collective voice something to the effect of:  "Hay, we don't all think the same way.  We don't all like the same flavor of ice-cream.  Some of us like pulled pork BBQ, NC-style.  Some of us like tofu burgers.  Some of us like pea porridge served piping hot.  Some us like it served cold.  Some folks won't even consider eating it until it is at least nine days old.  But, by golly, we do all love this town, we love our neighbors and we love the lifestyle that Durham affords us the opportunity to live.  We realize that making our town better is something that will take cooperation, some hand holding and even the occasion concession by some."

Please sign me up for that effort.

Ken Gasch
REALTOR®/Broker
Seagroves Realty
108 West Delafield Ave.
Durham, NC  27704
Ken at SeagrovesRealty.com
O: 919.220.0351
C: 919.475.8866
F: 866.229.4267

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: TheOcean1 at aol.com
  To: randy at 27beverly.com ; inc-list at durhaminc.org
  Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 9:41 AM
  Subject: Re: INC NEWS - Next Act: Fat Lady Sings

  Realizing that even replying here makes it appear as if I'm participating in a petty argument with Randy, but I don't appreciate being singled out. I didn't instigate adopting the Durham brand, but am not opposed to it.

  I don't decide when the deal is done, but at the time we all thought a quorum existed. All I suggested was that when Randy is asked to forward a message to the INC Listserv, the message should be forwarded, rather than copied and pasted in pieces. And that when a vote has been taken, as it appeared at the time, we shouldn't start rehashing the issue again the following morning on the listserv. Period.

  Personally, I don't feel strongly about what logo or name we adopt. What ever consensus is reached, I'm happy to go along with it. I look forward to the next delegate meeting, so this minor issue can be put to bed for good.

  Bill Anderson