INC NEWS - Hearing on Open SPace Plan for Easter DUrham COunty

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 10:58:40 EDT 2007

At last headway is being made on the East Durham Open Space Plan, but it
needs support to get it  finally passed.  This plan is the kind of
responsible planning we need other communities to embrace.  This type of
conservation and trails/parks planning proposed is the type of strategic
planning we've needed for a long time.

**UPDATE!**
There are 2 important public hearing's coming up April 9th, and April 16th.
The plan was in draft when you'd last seen this in February, but it is
finally moving forward. We'd been able to get several folks to attend the
commissioners meeting on 2/13 to speak in support of the East Durham Open
Space plan, and now we need make sure that people take advantage of the
opportunity to be heard and show support at the public hearings coming up.
Information on both of the hearings is below, and I would encourage you
attend one or both.  If you can't attend, you can still help -- I have
information below on who you can drop an email to in the city / county
government to ask for their support of the East Durham Open Space Plan.

Quoted from the Notice on the April 9th / 16th Public Hearings...
"The Board of County Commissioners and the Durham City Council will hold
public hearings on the Eastern Durham Open Space Plan.  The Eastern Durham
Open Space Plan is a plan to identify and preserve valuable open spaces in
Eastern Durham, covering the area generally between I-85, US 70 Bypass, US
70, and Falls Lake.  The Plan has multiple public objectives related to
providing recreation opportunities, preserving natural beauty, protecting
wildlife habitat, preserving historic resources, and maintaining water
quality.  Implementing the plan will involve public actions in park
development, trail construction, and open space acquisition.

The Durham country Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing to
consider the plan at its April 9th, 2007 meeting.  The Meeting Starts at
7:00 PM and will be held in the county Board Room on the second floor, 200
East Main Street.  Planning staff will present their recommendation on the
plan at the meeting.

The Durham City Council will hold a public hearing to consider the plan at
its April 16, 2007 meeting.  The meeting starts at 7:00 PM in the City
Council chambers, 101 City Hall Plaza.  Planning staff will present their
recommendation on the plan at the meeting. "

Please take a couple minutes and email or call the following Durham
government officials.  Let them know you support the plan and would like to
see it move forward ASAP.
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/planning/planning_commission_roster.cfm
http://www.durhamcountync.gov/departments/bocc/index.html
to email the city council, send to council at ci.durham.nc.us

Here's a link to the East Durham Open Space Plan Proposed if you'd like to
read all the details
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/planning/pdf/plan_eastdurhamopenspace.pdf

Please share this information with your friends and neighbors in the Durham
area.