INC NEWS - Fwd: Development Review Committee Rosters -- 'Regular' Citizen input?

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 17:58:21 EDT 2007

Thought I should forward you the attached email I sent
to city, county, and planning commissioners (council).
Any comments or suggestions...?

Melissa

____________

Hello again.

Upon viewing the link to the development review
committee rosters below:
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/manager/drp/combined/combined_emails.cfm

It appears that everyone on it, who is not a city or
county employee, is someone involved in real-estate
development - builder, designer, lobbyist, attorney
etc.

I think it is only appropriate that there be real
positions on these committees available to normal,
concerned Durham neighbors (laypersons)...most
beneficially, a representative from each area of
Durham (North, East, South and West). My neighborhood,
Fairfield, has a community awareness committee (which
is involved in development/transportation/crime/etc.
issues), and I'm sure we would have a volunteer for
such a position.

I also think that organizations such as DOST, the NE
Creek Streamwatch, the Durham People's Alliance, and
the local chapter of the Sierra Club should be invited
to partake in this initiative (by participating on the
development review committee).

It is not a fair system if you don't have input from
those concerned neighbors whose homes and
home-environments are directly affected by development
in Durham County.

Thank you very much for all you do for Durham, and for
your sincere consideration of your constituents' right
to have a say.

Sincerely,
Melissa

Melissa Rooney