INC NEWS - Parkwood Firestation: Lack of City support

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 15:51:55 EDT 2007

At the end of last week I learned that the City of
Durham is not funding their portion of the Parkwood
Fire Dept.

Apparently, the city claims they are still within the
acceptable time frame response. I don't think they are
considering rush hour standstills on 54 and 55, nor
the ever-increasing number of houses within the city
limits (as a result of the non-stop residential
development down here).

The Parkwood Fire Chief has informed that the only
neighborhoods affected will be Parkwood and Hunter's
Woods. These two neighborhoods were annexed into the
city at the same time a few years ago (and at that
time the city tried to obtain Parkwood's equipment).

Consequently, these two neighborhoods, which were
previously within Parkwood's (Station 1, Seaton Rd.)
district will be covered by the city station on
Carpenter Fletcher Rd. A house on fire in Parkwood
will have to wait for fire trucks up highway 55 past
Meridian Business Park instead of a fire station that
is IN their community.

On another note, I thought Mayor Bell lives in
Hunter's Woods -- does anyone know if he is aware of
this change?

Apparently, other local city neighborhoods have 5 year
contracts with Parkwood Fire Dept. Audubon Park was
just renewed by the city to be served by Parkwood, yet
the city won't renew for Parkwood....this seems
ludicrous to me.

Furthermore, if Parkwood Firestation is servicing
residences that have been annexed by the city,
shouldn't the city contribute to the running costs of
the Parkwood Fire Department? This seems only fair to
me.

Can the INC somehow officially show support for
Parkwood and Hunter's Woods to remain within the
Parkwood Fire Dept. jurisdiction? Afterall, they are
closer to the Parkwood Fire Station than other areas
that will continue to be serviced by Parkwood (due to
their 5 Year Contract).

Thanks for reading and aiding in this effort.
Melissa

Melissa Rooney
Fairfield Neighborhood INC Rep