INC NEWS - PR vs Partnership

kjj1 at duke.edu kjj1 at duke.edu
Fri May 4 10:20:40 EDT 2007

Reyn:

I don't think the point at issue is about the nature of PR. I think the
point is the difference between PR and Partnership.  In a true partnership,
the partners come to the table as equals and engage in genuine
negotiations, give-and-take, and cooperative relationships around mutually
agreed upon shared goals. From my perspective, the question about the
relationship between Duke PR and the Duke-Durham Partnership Initiative and
other community outreach efforts is how to distinguish those partnering
initiatives that are based on mutual respect between equal partners from
those that are fundamentally driven by Duke's PR priorities and needs.
Having DDPI/community relations run out of the PR office can (and
apparently has for some) give rise to the impression that these efforts are
not genuine partnerships but PR activities. Or, to use your language--that
community partnership is just part of Duke's internally driven branding
efforts and Durham is welcome to the table only insofar is we serve those
ends or comply with those goals.

Kelly

--On Friday, May 04, 2007 9:45 AM -0400 Reyn Bowman <Reyn at Durham-cvb.com>