INC NEWS - New Parks and Recreation Director Named

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed May 9 14:52:16 EDT 2007

>From the Public Affairs Office (hereafter referred to as PAO). They are
the folks who do some of the Press Releases (before referred to as PR
Department because they do the press releases) the City sends out. Bill
can forwarded you the release as he did last time, but it just takes up
more space (and costs us more eventually) on the server to store his
redundant posts. I also strip out the html that Word tucks in there and
send it in Simple Text. It takes up less space in storage. Over time, with
additional posts, it adds up in space and will cost more.

You can always find any of these posts located in the "news" section of
the Citys' website; www.durhamnc.gov.

RWP
27 Beverly

City of Durham Names New Parks and Recreation Director

Durham, N.C. - City Manager Patrick W. Baker announced today the
appointment of Rhonda B. Parker as the new director for Durham Parks and
Recreation (DPR).

Parker has served as the interim director since October 2006 and as the
assistant director for DPR's Recreation Programs and Facilities for more
than two years.  Prior to joining the City, Parker was the recreation
superintendent for Parks, Recreation and Tourism in Newport News, Va.

According to Parker, this opportunity will allow her to fulfill several
goals, such as DPR receiving national accreditation as well as assisting
with the development of a comprehensive gang initiative.  “I love Durham
for its diversity, grassroots community efforts and the passion of its
citizens,” Parker said.  “As the new director of DPR, I look forward to
continued partnerships with our residents so our department can continue
to provide quality programs as well as quality indoor and outdoor leisure
facilities.”

With over 30 years of experience in recreation programming, supervision
and management, Parker received both a master's in Management with an
emphasis on Business and Public Policy and a bachelor's degree in
Sociology and Social Work from Hampton University in Hampton, Va.

In addition to serving as the new director, Parker will continue to serve
on several boards including the Juvenile Crime Prevention Council; Durham
Arts Council Board; Governor’s Crime Cabinet Community Advisory Committee;
and multiple Results-Based Accountability City/County Committees.

Parker will begin her role as director effective immediately and will earn
an annual salary of $100,000.

About Durham Parks and Recreation
Durham Parks and Recreation (DPR) provides opportunities for the City of
Durham community to "Play More."  The department helps citizens discover,
explore and enjoy life through creative and challenging recreational
choices that contribute to their physical, emotional and social health.
 To learn more about DPR, visit the City's website at
www.durhamnc.gov/departments/parks/.

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic  mail to the sender of
this email, RW  Pickle (pickle at patriot.net) immediately.