INC NEWS - Greenhouse Gas Inventory

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue May 29 16:29:11 EDT 2007

The Greenhouse Gas Inventory is available at
http://www.dchcmpo.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=35

There will be a hearing either June 20 or 21 -- check the website on date as
well as other ways to comment.

A little background: the optimistic scientists say we need to keep the level
of greenhouse gases below 450 parts per million if we aren't (literally)
going to be toast.  Also the realistic and hopefully good-enough goal is 80%
reductions in greenhouse gases by 2050.

It says we released about 6.8 megatons of greenhouse gases in 2005 and if we
keep going as we are going, we will be doing much worse by 2030.  About 1/2
of the greenhouse gases come from using electricity and about 1/2 of THAT is
from commercial development.  The commercial contribution is about twice the
national average (my PERSONAL guess:  this is partly because we have a lot
of high-tech commercial stuff in RTP and other places and partly that
electricity has been cheap so we didn't build things as efficiently as we
should have.).

We also have higher than average releases from transportation and our
development patterns are making it worse.

The good news is when you look just at governmental operations (city,
county, schools) we have already done or made commitments to do things that
keep emissions from governmental operations from growing, in spite of growth
in the community  -- and also saving a lot of $$.  If we do the moderate
level investments they suggest, we would be on track to the 80% by 2050
target.

The two prongs of actions that someone could take in response to the report:
* Look around how to reduce your own carbon footprint (some websites to help
you figure out how much you contribute are below):
  http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/carboncalculator/
  http://www.earthfuture.com/climate/calculators/

http://www.conservation.org/xp/CIWEB/programs/climatechange/carboncalculator.xml
* Submit comments to support bigger commitments for reductions, having
sustainability people on government staff, and thinking harder about our
development patterns (or whatever your preference in what we should be
doing)

Regards, pat