INC NEWS - Summary of First DWQ Public Hearing

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 12:35:05 EDT 2007

I was at the hearing and this is NOT what I heard.

I heard a LOT of pious whining from special interests about how they weren't
going to continue to make a lot of money building however they wanted (the
$300,000 houses are not longer going to be affordable, I guess).

The "emotional" environmental groups talked about how yucky it is to roll a
kayak in parts of the lake, that more and more of us are going to be drawing
drinking water from the lake, and growth is only going to make the problems
worse.

What makes sense to me is that when you're in a hole, the first thing to do
is quit shoveling.  That is, for goodness sake, don't do any more
development that makes the problem worse.

I will agree with Water Management that all the low-hanging fruit in terms
of cleaning up our waste water has been picked, eaten, digested, and is
generally gone.  I don't think Durham should be penalized for having made
more and earlier investments than most in making sure what we discharge is
as clean as possible.

I think local government has a legitimate gripe that they are getting an
unfunded mandate to figure out what to do.  And as I said earlier, when a
lot of the problem comes from existing residential development, there are
limits on rules and regulations can do, and we need to realize the potential
of the informal exchange of ideas among neighbors about rain gardens (talk
to the Shifletts), better fertilizing methods, terraces and strategically
placed flower beds.

So what I would advocate if you are sending in comments:
* If you are doing something to reduce run-off from your property (or have
ideas you want to try to spread in your neighborhood), let them know about
that.
* We need carrots and sticks to get more low impact development (which
basically means that the run-off gets dealt with locally rather than down
the stormwater drain to the lake)

Regards, pat