INC NEWS - Partnership for North Carolina's Future (background, solutions)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 12:46:35 EDT 2007

Partnership for North Carolina's Future
www.ncfuturenow.org

North Carolina's population growth is one of the
nation's fastest.  Each week, thousands of new
residents move here. Between 2000 and 2030, an
additional 4 million people - the equivalent of South
Carolina's present population - will move here.

The pace of growth and develpoment and the aging of
public facilities are draining our resources.  North
Carolina is falling behind in areas critical to our
quality of life and economy.

* Schools are jammed and in some cases dilapidated.

* Congestion on our roads and streets gets worse every
day, as projects are often delayed for years.

* Many rural communities are without adequate water
and sewer needs.

* Farms and open spaces - often along our streams and
rivers - are rapidly disappearing.

* More than 2 million NC residents live in substandard
housing or housing they cannot afford.

If this downward spiral is allowed to continue it will
cost our state jobs, damage our economy and adversely
affect the livelihoods of families.

The Partnership for North Carolina's Future has been
organized to raise public awareness that our future is
at risk and to urge the General Assembly to approve
new sources of revenues to meet these growing needs.

****

If you're worried that North Carolina's quality of
life is at risk, you've come to the right place.  Our
state is facing some difficult challenges as a result
of growth, development and too few resources.  Both
urban and rural areas are already experiencing
problems just meeting the daily needs of their
citizens.

Schools are overcrowded, roads are congested or
lacking, and our forests, farms, natural areas and
scenic places are disappearing.  Many rural areas lack
adequate water and sewer systems. Every day quality
homes grow further out of reach for fixed income
seniors, working families and persons with
disabilities.

It is because of these critical needs that a diverse
coalition has come together to form the Partnership
for North Carolina's Future. The Partnership includes
advocates for public schools (PDF), land and water
conservation, transportation, water and sewer,
affordable housing, cities and counties .  Our shared
concern is that North Carolina is not making the
necessary investments to keep pace with our growth and
development.  Every day we are growing, and every day
we are falling behind.  There is no plan in place to
address our state's current and future needs.

Already, more than 50 bills have been introduced in
the North Carolina Legislature that seek to address
these concerns.  The Partnership for North Carolina's
Future is urging the General Assembly to seriously
consider all sources of revenue that can help address
these critical needs.

Solutions... http://www.ncfuturenow.org/solutions/