INC NEWS - Summary of First DWQ Public Hearing

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 20 09:30:54 EDT 2007

Thanks Randy -- it's nice to hear "let's add our shoulder to the effort of
pushing the truck out of the ditch" instead of "if you ask me to risk
getting my shirt dirty, I'll sue" (-:

For what it's worth, this is what our comprehensive plan says about where we
are getting our drinking water

Objective 9.1.2.  Water Supply
Continue to identify and develop sufficient new raw water supply
sources to support Durham’s future demand, while efficiently using
present water supply sources.
Policy 9.1.2a.  Teer Quarry.  The City Water Management
Department shall acquire and develop the abandoned Teer Quarry
site in northern Durham as a storage facility for raw water and
ensure water quality within the quarry.
Policy 9.1.2b.  Jordan Lake Water Supply.  The City Water
Management Department shall continue to pursue water supply
allocations from Jordan Lake (in addition to the present 10 million
gallon per day allocation).
Policy 9.1.2c.  Future Water Supply Source.  The City Water
Management Department shall continue to assess long-range water
supply options to identify the most efficient alternatives to meet
Durham’s long-term water supply needs, evaluating, at a
minimum, the following:
i. Expand the capacity of Lake Michie by constructing a new,
and higher, dam downstream of the existing dam, raising the
lake’s water pool elevation;
ii. Develop a new water supply on either the Flat River or the
Little River; and
iii. Obtain a water supply allocation from Kerr Lake.

(we better hope the folks north of us are forced to protect OUR water
supplies (-:)

I ran across this paragraph in the comprehensive plan about protecting water
quality:

Policy 9.4.3c.  Street Sweeping.  The City Public Works
Department shall continue to conduct a regular program of street
sweeping to remove leaves, other organic debris, trash and other
pollutants from street gutters in order to enhance the quality of
stormwater runoff.

Looks like everything is connected.

Finally, I am interested in having Durham become a leader in doing Mangum
terraces.  A Mangum terrace is a 19th century agriculture improvement where
you put small ridges across a slope to cut sheet erosion.  I think the way
it works, it makes small puddles behind the ridges, so somewhat less water
runs off and what runs off is going a lot slower so carrying a lot less
stuff.

Regards, pat